Sunrun
www.sunrun.com San Francisco, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Essentially the Perfect Corporate Culture

Marketing (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

ProsI have been reading some of the reviews on this site and think they are extremely unfair. Therefore, I would like to add a voice from the other side of the satisfaction spectrum.

1) Room to work: in my experience they give you a task or objective and then you have an incredible amount of creative freedom about how you want to complete that task and how you want to use your time.

2) Mentoring: This is something the other reviews frequently mention as a negative, but I have had several great mentoring experiences here at Sunrun. I have a weekly 1-1 with my manager during which we talk about what I'm working on, where it should go, and what challenges I'm facing. Honestly, I haven't had a better set of bosses. They are active, fair, helpful, and clear about what they want. What more could you ask for than that?

3) Culture: Again, this is an aspect of Sunrun that has been taking hits in these reviews but I literally can't think of a way they could improve it. They encourage individuality, creativity, and input. They have a ping pong table on both floors, and the break rooms are unbelievably well stocked. They feed you lunch of Friday and breakfast on Monday. The brand team works hard to make sure the office looks good/is inspiring. I know, I know: the most important thing about a culture isn't the food and appearance. But those things do help - I work better when well fed. Oh yeah, and they have yoga Tuesdays and Thursdays.

4) The People: at least the other reviews were fair about this one. The people are all young, energetic, enthusiastic, and amazingly welcoming. Like I said, the other reviews were at least fair here, so I will not spend too much time on it - except to say that all the execs have been just as nice as my co-workers in my interactions with them. If there's "bad politics" going on, I haven't seen it.

ConsIf you don't live in the city the commute can be a bit painful - but really BARTing isn't that bad...

The company, and third party solar industry as a whole, are still trying to figure out the logistics of its rapid expansion, which causes some growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough I do feel like you do this already to some extent, maybe acknowledge departments (and/or individuals) who are consistently going above and beyond. Small signs of appreciation go a long way - trophies or SWAG would be nice.

A great opportunity at first but quickly eroded due to toxic culture and management

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sunrun full-time for more than a year

Pros: Sunrun's business model is extremely innovating and inspiring Great energy from young, recent college grads who are enthusiastic about the renewable energy industry Free… Cons: The highest politics per capita of any company I've seen A lot of the enthusiasm I (and others) had when starting has been drained away by… Advice to Senior Management: Listen to your employees! - try trusting them as the experts you've hired to run your business. Technology and Infrastructure are investments, not simply sources… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Rotting From The Head

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sunrun full-time for more than a year

Pros: Philz Coffee in the kitchen. Nearby Embarcadero BART/MUNI station and bus stops. Non-management tends to be friendly, helpful, and very intelligent. A lot of great ideas are discussed,… Cons: Executives are inexperienced at best, completely inept and self-destructive at worst. Bureaucracy is everywhere except where it is needed, drama and intrigue plague management, and… Advice to Senior Management: Few, if any of you, actually know best. You have done a great job hiring smart, dedicated, hard-working employees. Stop ignoring them, stop belittling their… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Sunrun.

Worked for Sunrun? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sunrun reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sunrun CEO Lynn Jurich . All reviews posted anonymously by Sunrun employees.