Essentially the Perfect Corporate Culture

Current Employee - Marketing  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been reading some of the reviews on this site and think they are extremely unfair. Therefore, I would like to add a voice from the other side of the satisfaction spectrum.

1) Room to work: in my experience they give you a task or objective and then you have an incredible amount of creative freedom about how you want to complete that task and how you want to use your time.

2) Mentoring: This is something the other reviews frequently mention as a negative, but I have had several great mentoring experiences here at Sunrun. I have a weekly 1-1 with my manager during which we talk about what I'm working on, where it should go, and what challenges I'm facing. Honestly, I haven't had a better set of bosses. They are active, fair, helpful, and clear about what they want. What more could you ask for than that?

3) Culture: Again, this is an aspect of Sunrun that has been taking hits in these reviews but I literally can't think of a way they could improve it. They encourage individuality, creativity, and input. They have a ping pong table on both floors, and the break rooms are unbelievably well stocked. They feed you lunch of Friday and breakfast on Monday. The brand team works hard to make sure the office looks good/is inspiring. I know, I know: the most important thing about a culture isn't the food and appearance. But those things do help - I work better when well fed. Oh yeah, and they have yoga Tuesdays and Thursdays.

4) The People: at least the other reviews were fair about this one. The people are all young, energetic, enthusiastic, and amazingly welcoming. Like I said, the other reviews were at least fair here, so I will not spend too much time on it - except to say that all the execs have been just as nice as my co-workers in my interactions with them. If there's "bad politics" going on, I haven't seen it.

Cons

If you don't live in the city the commute can be a bit painful - but really BARTing isn't that bad...

The company, and third party solar industry as a whole, are still trying to figure out the logistics of its rapid expansion, which causes some growing pains.

Although I do feel like you do this already to some extent, maybe acknowledge departments (and/or individuals) who are consistently going above and beyond. Small signs of appreciation go a long way - trophies or SWAG would be nice.

Other Reviews for Sunrun

A great opportunity at first but quickly eroded due to toxic culture and management

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sunrun's business model is extremely innovating and inspiring
    Great energy from young, recent college grads who are enthusiastic about the renewable energy industry
    Free snacks in the kitchen
    Close to BART
    Startup environment can be exciting and a great place to learn
    Very smart and talented individuals throughout the company

Cons

The highest politics per capita of any company I've seen
    A lot of the enthusiasm I (and others) had when starting has been drained away by terrible management and a questionable corporate culture
    Management seems very "out of touch" with the employees and reality when dealing with established business practices (corporate compliance, best practices, security, etc). Some practices seem quite questionable and unwise.
    Startup environment can be excruciating (other people who have been at enterprise size companies seem to have forgotten how to function in growing business environments)
    Some execs seem to enjoy terrorizing employees with "environmental" practices which aren't well thought-out; personal attacks on other management and acting petty.
    Too many expensive consultants implementing projects while the employees' needs are not being met
    Nebulous employee development, terrible employee review system and career growth (if you can stand it more than 1-2 years there's literally nowhere to advance)

Listen to your employees! - try trusting them as the experts you've hired to run your business.

Technology and Infrastructure are investments, not simply sources of liability to be outsourced as line items on a balance sheet. Outsourcing has been proven in the industry to a short-term solution to cull spending at the cost of customer satisfaction/retention (and for a company that promotes itself as supporting local businesses through various partners I don't think sending work outside the country is a good message).

Sunrun has a great idea on how to cut dependence on dirty energy. It just has to "grow up" and clean up its own processes and culture.

Rotting From The Head

Current Employee - Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sunrun full-time for more than a year

Pros

Philz Coffee in the kitchen.

Nearby Embarcadero BART/MUNI station and bus stops.

Non-management tends to be friendly, helpful, and very intelligent.

A lot of great ideas are discussed, even if they are never actually implemented.

The company is doing a good thing for the US and the customers.

Nice neighborhood for shopping/eating outside of work.

Cons

Executives are inexperienced at best, completely inept and self-destructive at worst. Bureaucracy is everywhere except where it is needed, drama and intrigue plague management, and most of the valuable employees have work piled to the heavens while hordes of inefficient and largely pointless consultants and contractors do nothing or make life harder for the full time employees.

There is no project management, so no one's time is valued. Projects are either forced to be released on-time despite being unready/untested or are put off forever because no one organizes the manpower to get things done. At any given time, six groups will be working on the same thing from different angles and duplicating work or working against each other. Code review is sparse at best and a joke more often than not.

The company is, in reality, half loan agency and half software company. However, management treats it as a sales and advertisement firm. This means that the three most valuable departments (Engineering, IT, and Finance) are often the least listened to and supported. Meanwhile, Sales and Marketing are kowtowed to at every opportunity.

Non-management that try to organize or manage are shut-down and cut off at the knees. Management that overstep their bounds or meddle in other departments are promoted to Director and VP level. Management is often hired from the outside, rather than promoting those who have risen to the challenges internally.

The recruiting page on the web-site is full of inaccuracies. "Fun days" are all but eliminated now, replaced by mandatory offsite meetings. Current benefits are hardly competitive. Stock for new employees is minimal if it is offered at all. Pay is barely competitive below senior management level. Employee opinions are rarely solicited, instead decisions are made behind closed doors by the elite few and handed down as mandates.

In short, a nightmare for anyone below senior management.

Few, if any of you, actually know best. You have done a great job hiring smart, dedicated, hard-working employees. Stop ignoring them, stop belittling their efforts, and most of all stop wasting their time. They're all going to leave (again) and this time around I don't think the pieces will be so easily picked up.

There are newer employer reviews for Sunrun.

Worked for Sunrun? Contribute to the Community!