There are newer employer reviews for Sunstone Hotel Investors

They pass up employees with more skill and desire

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors

Pros

I felt appreciated as an employee. Upper management frequently prasied my hard work and I felt like I was a valued team member for the most part. I liked that we got reviews on time when we were due for them and felt that the raises they gave were appropriate.

Cons

While they say they believe in promoting from within the company, they screwed me over more than once for a position that I was well qualified for. They let the employee who was leaving change their mind and comeback and no one told me about this until 4 weeks later, when I had already heard just through gossip. This employee was eventually fired, by the way...

Promote from within and foster a learning environment for people who want to grow within the industry!

reviews filtered by
  1. Great company loved working there

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time

Pros

Salary, bonus & Stock.
    Staff is professional and great to work with

Cons

No room for advancement.

2. Difficult times at a REIT

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Sunstone Hotel Investors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some nice properties in the portfolio, Managerial bonuses were good. More recently the company has focused on shedding assets to manage a smaller portfolio of properties.

Cons

I worked for a property the REIT owned/managed, and while SOX compliance kept an invisible wall between the operator (at the time, Sunstone Hotel Properties) and the REIT (Sunstone Hotel Investors), there was a clear attitude that the value of the property the asset was on was paramount to employee or guest satisfaction.

It was a very difficult time to be in hotels and SHI didn't fare any better--surrendering keys to its more heavily financed properties, and dissolving the management company to reduce employee headcount. (It was particularly tactless when flash-animated cards were sent to all associates with the names of their colleagues at the headquarters office who were let go due to staffing reductions--the entire office's closure was heralded by two of these e-cards).

While I likely felt more direct effects of decisions implemented by the managers of the operator, there was a clear message that the values and pressure were applied by SHI, and the operator was merely the tool to implement the vision they had.

Learn from circa-2008 mistakes and make shrewd real-estate investments, not risky ones. Don't let the value of the land/building be the only factor when asking the operator to make decisions or capital investment--a successful business is worth more than a building and land. (If you do this, the satisfaction of guests/employees will take care of itself.)

There are newer employer reviews for Sunstone Hotel Investors