Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro)

www.supermicro.com
Engaged Employer

Systems Engineer

Pros

No tough tasks, without much stress..

Cons

OT, culture, not very good senior management

Other Employee Reviews for Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro)

1. I wished I listened to others (review mainly due to having a questionable manager)

Pros

Free bagels and Chinese pastries each morning. CEO is excited and communicates to almost everybody each week. Currently, hours are not that bad -- over time if you deal directly with China/Taiwan based employees.

Cons

Manager relationship - I cannot confirm or re-affirm instructions/directions with my manager - I merely do as he says. Manager's reputation around the company. No financial quarterly meeting with employees - I wish I knew how the company is doing from the CEO's own words. Family-style management - as in upper managers are related to the CEO.

Advice to Management

While the CEO is excited about increasing sales at almost every employee meeting, no clear strategy or vision (not clear enough). Managers play an important role in building employee morale relationships - start having a 360 feedback system where employees can rate managers.

2. Suppliers Beware!

Former Employee - Memory Supplier
    Former Employee - Memory Supplier

I worked at Super Micro Computer, Inc. (Supermicro) full-time

Pros

As a supplier of memory products, if pricing aligned with Supermico low ball requirements then you could sell a reasonable amount of product at their quarter end

Cons

There is no desire or understanding by Supermicro in understanding or desire to develop a strategic relationship with suppliers. They are a 'trading' culture Taiwanese company and drive suppliers to offer the lowest possible pricing and prompt shipment of product. They will play your price off of other suppliers to drive pricing down. They want all the advantages so they can pocket as much profit as possible. Some of the buyers are the most unprofessional, goofy I have ever had to deal with in my career. There is no difference between buying cabbage from a vendor in Taipei than selling semiconductors to some of the buyers at Supermicro San Jose.

Advice to Management

None. They wouldn't listen or care if you gave them good advice. They have all the answers.