Work in your underwear

Current Employee - Personal Technology Expert in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Personal Technology Expert in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Support.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home - work from home - work from home. Basically, that is the single best thing about working in this company. I work on a close knit team, which makes things great. The salary is decent for a WFH position. When OT is available I recommend soaking it up, you're at home and probably on your computer anyway. Publicly traded company. Great benefits Employee Stock Purchase

Cons

It's a call center, albeit a virtual call center, it's still a call center. So, the focus is on metrics. Some agents complain about being bounced from tenant to tenant without being adequately trained on their new tenant. Documentation is available, you just have be self starting enough to review it on your own. No raises in 4+ years. Publicly traded

Advice to Management

Remember who interfaces with your customers and take care of them. I think communication could be much better as well as some performance based salary increases are due.

Other Employee Reviews for Support.com

A bad business model, worse management

Current Employee - PTE
    Current Employee - PTE

I have been working at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work From Home I have made a lot of friends at SDC.

Cons

Company is run on a micro budget by a management team that mainly reacts. Their technology is a collection of home grown and 3rd party products that is constantly breaking, and antiquated. The only time they change anything is when they are forced to and then off course that breaks. Voice quality is so bad I call back about 1/2 of my customers. They outsourced Sales to a bunch of clueless script readers in the Philippines and have to be losing a small fortune in terms of refunds and work that never gets billed. Management is in the process of running off senior techs and replacing them with cheaper junior techs. Outside of the junior techs being hired, no other positions are being filled when people quit, so promotion opportunities are non-existent.

Advice to Management

Get a CEO that has a strategy and a plan to actually implement it.

They're only getting worse. Apply here is you enjoy having your faith in humanity slowly beaten out of you.

Current Employee - Solutions Engineer
    Current Employee - Solutions Engineer

I have been working at Support.com full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When the recession was hitting us hard it was nice to have a job. Pay as a PTE/SE tech was low compared to other places but higher than most entry level jobs with no degree. Mediocre benefits. Work from home.

Cons

-Company keeps placing burden of profit on their workforce unfairly. -Cut shift differential pay. -Mandatory overtime. -Have shift bids which can put you on a schedule that you hate for 6 months. -After having gone through the process for a horrible schedule, they may change it to fit their needs at a moment's notice. -Little opportunity for advancement despite their contrary claims. -Changed stance from giving raises when company is more profitable to give raises never. -Constant esoteric policy changes that no one is ever clear on, even the people who make these changes. -High turn over so you are always fixing new people's mistakes. -Very obvious and low morale among coworkers. -Dubious sales policies that makes the customers pay for things they may or may not have to which makes you feel complicit. -Dealing with outsourced departments which are staffed with some of the most incompetent people ever to touch a headset. -While there are some really great people there to have suffering along side you, a very large portion of your coworkers have the emotional intelligence of a six year old. It is like reading flame wars and trolls all day, but this is daily dialogue. -Even your direct supervisor indicates everything is chaotic and pretty all around horrible for us but just sort of shrugs his shoulders. -Receive emails from corporate executives that basically berate and devalue their workforce and basically tell them, 'well there are worse places to work for, by the way we are cutting your pay'

Advice to Management

-Either treat your employees well or be more forthcoming with your plans as a company. -Don't hire people as experienced computer technicians with the mindset that their primary job is virus removal and computer troubleshooting and then turn them all into glorified switchboard operators due to poor training, implementation and policy. -Don't wave a cheaper workforce in our faces and then continually pressure us with unreasonable goals and policies that are obviously tactics to induce an accelerated attrition. -Don't tell us, 'yes, you will get a raise, just bear with us, one we get profitable we'll take care of people.' and then inform us no, we won't they will be performance based and, while you are all losing 5-15% in shift differentials, the top 3% of you will get a bonus equitable to less than 2% of your salary. You hired a bunch of programming and engineering students, we can do the math.