Sur La Table

www.surlatable.com

Job not as described

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

The discount is great (40% off regular priced items), and most of the people are really nice, friendly, and highly educated (most of my coworkers had at least bachelors degrees, if not masters). If I wanted to work only one or two shifts a week, they would allow it (getting more than 20 hours a week can be an issue).

Cons

As kitchen assistant, I thought I would be helping teach and assist customers with the classes. I ended up just washing dishes. They hire on too educated of people to have them just wash dishes by hand (not even in a dishwasher)!

My chef was also very disorganized and anal all at the same time. He would talk down to his staff and came off as if he was superior to us all. In actuality, he had less culinary training/knowledge than many of the people who worked for him. On top of this, he would get mad at the kitchen assistants for not supposedly not working hard enough or caring. (Making minimum wage, having an advanced degree, and getting belittled...there is little incentive to work hard.).

There was also pressure to skip the fifteen minute breaks.

Other reviews for Sur La Table

It has better pay than most, but in the end is still retail.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

better pay than most retail establishments, free coffee, good discount, definitely large quantity of speciality items, interesting place to work and learn to cook, great coworkers for the most part.

Cons

incompetent management, ridiculous sales goals, virtually no room for advancement if you arent a favorite of management, experience in retail/sales is not taken into account, management tends to talk down to employees, the idea of sales incentives are ridiculous on high prices items above $1000.

stop micro-managing your employees, defintiely take experience into account when dealing with employees, hire more competent management and promote those who are doing well within your company, and dont play favorites.

Fast reaction to my suggestion!

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great brand!
    Amazing discount!
    Growing company with upward mobility!
    Bomun program pays out!
    Al ot of room to think on the job.

Cons

Hard work.
    A lot of ambiguity
    lots of change

Slow down the floor moves as well as the price changes - we do a lot of $.04 mark ups that feel like a waste of time!

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!