Sur La Table

www.surlatable.com

Job not as described

Kitchen Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe discount is great (40% off regular priced items), and most of the people are really nice, friendly, and highly educated (most of my coworkers had at least bachelors degrees, if not masters). If I wanted to work only one or two shifts a week, they would allow it (getting more than 20 hours a week can be an issue).

ConsAs kitchen assistant, I thought I would be helping teach and assist customers with the classes. I ended up just washing dishes. They hire on too educated of people to have them just wash dishes by hand (not even in a dishwasher)!

My chef was also very disorganized and anal all at the same time. He would talk down to his staff and came off as if he was superior to us all. In actuality, he had less culinary training/knowledge than many of the people who worked for him. On top of this, he would get mad at the kitchen assistants for not supposedly not working hard enough or caring. (Making minimum wage, having an advanced degree, and getting belittled...there is little incentive to work hard.).

There was also pressure to skip the fifteen minute breaks.

It has better pay than most, but in the end is still retail.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros: better pay than most retail establishments, free coffee, good discount, definitely large quantity of speciality… Cons: incompetent management, ridiculous sales goals, virtually no room for advancement if you arent a favorite of management, experience in retail/sales is not… Advice to Senior Management: stop micro-managing your employees, defintiely take experience into account when dealing with employees, hire more… More

Fast reaction to my suggestion!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros: Great brand! Amazing discount! Growing company with upward mobility! Bomun program pays out! Al… Cons: Hard work. A lot of ambiguity lots of change Advice to Senior Management: Slow down the floor moves as well as the price changes - we… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sur La Table.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!