Job not as described

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Houston, TX

Pros

The discount is great (40% off regular priced items), and most of the people are really nice, friendly, and highly educated (most of my coworkers had at least bachelors degrees, if not masters). If I wanted to work only one or two shifts a week, they would allow it (getting more than 20 hours a week can be an issue).

Cons

As kitchen assistant, I thought I would be helping teach and assist customers with the classes. I ended up just washing dishes. They hire on too educated of people to have them just wash dishes by hand (not even in a dishwasher)! My chef was also very disorganized and anal all at the same time. He would talk down to his staff and came off as if he was superior to us all. In actuality, he had less culinary training/knowledge than many of the people who worked for him. On top of this, he would get mad at the kitchen assistants for not supposedly not working hard enough or caring. (Making minimum wage, having an advanced degree, and getting belittled...there is little incentive to work hard.). There was also pressure to skip the fifteen minute breaks.

Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table

1. It has better pay than most, but in the end is still retail.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

better pay than most retail establishments, free coffee, good discount, definitely large quantity of speciality items, interesting place to work and learn to cook, great coworkers for the most part.

Cons

incompetent management, ridiculous sales goals, virtually no room for advancement if you arent a favorite of management, experience in retail/sales is not taken into account, management tends to talk down to employees, the idea of sales incentives are ridiculous on high prices items above $1000.

Advice to Management

stop micro-managing your employees, defintiely take experience into account when dealing with employees, hire more competent management and promote those who are doing well within your company, and dont play favorites.

Discount is only plus

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Discount, 40% Product incentives Laid back, dress code Most of the time fun environment

Cons

All manager cares about is his bonus Very demeaning towards employees Only demands but will not recognize a job well done

Advice to Management

Learn a bit more about managers and how other stores are doing.