There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Sur La Table - once the mecca for people who cook, now just focused on reports.

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

Pros

Sur La Table carries the absolute best in kitchen supplies. People who love to cook - both chefs and home cooks - come in and are excited about the products. Those of us who are food geeks love to talk with customers, giving advice and sharing information. There's a 40% discount, which is nice for those of us who love to cook. I could never afford some of the things I've gotten without the discount. We offer cooking classes, on which employees also get a discount, which are very fun and informative. If you love to cook, Sur La Table can be heaven.

Cons

Sur La Table used to be the mecca for people who love to cook - that was our raison d'etre, as well as the company's party line. Now, because of management changes, good and bad, there are far fewer knowledgeable salespeople - it's mostly young people with "bubbly personalities." Management used to have the employees' happiness and health first and foremost - now, management doesn't care. it's all about "Did you sell something BIG today?" There are no longer sales incentives given for jobs well done - we are made to compete against each other which can destroy an attitude of teamwork.

Advice to Management

Understand that people need communication and information, and that rules sometimes need to be flexible to meet the needs of human beings.

Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table

It's a Love/Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

Love being around like minded employees and customers. I love talking about food and cookware and just relating to people on a level that becomes a very personal conversation. My fellow employees are great fun to be around and we work extremely well together. I like also being in an environment where I can help people make the right decision regarding the purchase they're wanting to make. I never try to get someone to buy the wrong product just because it may cost more.

Cons

Very little training and the newer employees have rec'd even less than I. There are so many products, and customers are expecting you to really know why one pan is different or better than the other; knives too..all the products. We watched a few videos and took a quiz afterward. We were told that depending on how well we did on these quizzes, we might receive a bigger discount on electronics (currently only 10% off). Well, they just quietly decided not to do that. Also, they capture so many different metrics on who sold what item but you're never offered any reward for meeting or exceeding sales goals. We were told our store was dirty but we are not allowed to pay for a cleaning crew nor are we allowed to work extra hours to get it as clean as it's needed.

Advice to Management

Allow regular meetings to occur in order to share new information about products or processes. Really train your employees about the products and provide more incentives when we do really well, and sometimes we do REALLY well. I really like working here but am very disappointed in what I'm seeing.

2. If you love culinary arts, Sur La Table might be for you.

Current Employee - Floor Sales Staff in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Floor Sales Staff in Columbus, OH

Pros

The discount is good for employees, it helps to make up for the low pay and advancement. Most parttime people I know that work there put up with the all of the downside for the discount!

Cons

The managment changes their mind constantly. There isn't enough consistency at the top as new management comes in an resets the company's priorities. My last review was pretty favorable and I got a 9 cent/hour raise!!!!! The only area I got "dinged" on was not approaching every customer that walked through the door. (I don't like to be hounded when I shop so I tend to not suffocate my customers) My product knowledge was impeccable.

Advice to Management

There is a great need for better marketing for SLT. If you're going to have a culinary program, throwing it on the website is not the way to market it. Bring in big names and work with local media to promote. Our program has been there for years and we still have local people that are unaware there is a teaching kitchen in the store. Most floor staff is very quick to direct people to the web to sign up for classes instead of taking care of them in the store. They are not educated to what is really happening in the kitchen and feel the website gives better information. More often than not, the website has MANY mistakes.