Sur La Table

www.surlatable.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Great for job for those who love to cook or entertain and aren't seeking full-time employment

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Most who work at Sur La Table share interest in cooking and food; on-going education - not necessarily provided by company, but by exposure to customers' needs; the discount makes more expensive items accessible

Cons

Hard to get enough hours - impossible to support self on income, need 40 hours to qualify to receive benefits. If not a cook it may take a longer time to learn about all the products.

Consider the number of hours and traffic flow an employee works when measuring sales success; make sure middle management knows how to support and motivate staff.

223 Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table (View Most Recent)

Hope things improve (there and elsewhere).

Former Employee - No Longer There in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - No Longer There in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Locally based company with national multi-channel presence. Great employee discount if you like to cook/entertain. Relatively casual environment when things are going well.

Cons

Definitely not enough accountability at the upper management level as they are "driving the bus"...but where is it going? Potential for personal growth, although limited and difficult to get there (the discovery of how to do it is difficult, to say the least). There's a distinct lack of loyalty and connection between upper management and lower employees...be careful of investing too much of yourself and expecting any "ROI".

If the "decision makers" aren't solving the issues needed to generate profits they should be held accountable.

Sur La Table - once the mecca for people who cook, now just focused on reports.

Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Sur La Table carries the absolute best in kitchen supplies. People who love to cook - both chefs and home cooks - come in and are excited about the products. Those of us who are food geeks love to talk with customers, giving advice and sharing information. There's a 40% discount, which is nice for those of us who love to cook. I could never afford some of the things I've gotten without the discount. We offer cooking classes, on which employees also get a discount, which are very fun and informative. If you love to cook, Sur La Table can be heaven.

Cons

Sur La Table used to be the mecca for people who love to cook - that was our raison d'etre, as well as the company's party line. Now, because of management changes, good and bad, there are far fewer knowledgeable salespeople - it's mostly young people with "bubbly personalities." Management used to have the employees' happiness and health first and foremost - now, management doesn't care. it's all about "Did you sell something BIG today?" There are no longer sales incentives given for jobs well done - we are made to compete against each other which can destroy an attitude of teamwork.

Understand that people need communication and information, and that rules sometimes need to be flexible to meet the needs of human beings.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table