There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Great for job for those who love to cook or entertain and aren't seeking full-time employment

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  Pasadena, CA
Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Pasadena, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Most who work at Sur La Table share interest in cooking and food; on-going education - not necessarily provided by company, but by exposure to customers' needs; the discount makes more expensive items accessible

Cons

Hard to get enough hours - impossible to support self on income, need 40 hours to qualify to receive benefits. If not a cook it may take a longer time to learn about all the products.

Consider the number of hours and traffic flow an employee works when measuring sales success; make sure middle management knows how to support and motivate staff.

188 Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table (View Most Recent)

Hope things improve (there and elsewhere).

Former Employee - No Longer There  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - No Longer There in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Locally based company with national multi-channel presence. Great employee discount if you like to cook/entertain. Relatively casual environment when things are going well.

Cons

Definitely not enough accountability at the upper management level as they are "driving the bus"...but where is it going? Potential for personal growth, although limited and difficult to get there (the discovery of how to do it is difficult, to say the least). There's a distinct lack of loyalty and connection between upper management and lower employees...be careful of investing too much of yourself and expecting any "ROI".

If the "decision makers" aren't solving the issues needed to generate profits they should be held accountable.

It's a Love/Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Love being around like minded employees and customers. I love talking about food and cookware and just relating to people on a level that becomes a very personal conversation. My fellow employees are great fun to be around and we work extremely well together. I like also being in an environment where I can help people make the right decision regarding the purchase they're wanting to make. I never try to get someone to buy the wrong product just because it may cost more.

Cons

Very little training and the newer employees have rec'd even less than I. There are so many products, and customers are expecting you to really know why one pan is different or better than the other; knives too..all the products. We watched a few videos and took a quiz afterward. We were told that depending on how well we did on these quizzes, we might receive a bigger discount on electronics (currently only 10% off). Well, they just quietly decided not to do that. Also, they capture so many different metrics on who sold what item but you're never offered any reward for meeting or exceeding sales goals. We were told our store was dirty but we are not allowed to pay for a cleaning crew nor are we allowed to work extra hours to get it as clean as it's needed.

Allow regular meetings to occur in order to share new information about products or processes. Really train your employees about the products and provide more incentives when we do really well, and sometimes we do REALLY well. I really like working here but am very disappointed in what I'm seeing.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!