Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount on most products. Stay more than 3 months and receive discount on high-end electrics. Most people shopping in a kitchen store are in a good mood. Products are fun.

Cons

MUST be available all the time. Different work schedules every week and they often change the schedule without calling you. Lousy pay. Store management changes often.

Advice to Management

Offer a more stable schedule. Offer better pay to keep your employees. It's costs a lot of money to train a person - try to keep them.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Fun, Friendly environment with opportunity to learn and grow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the different people I work with, my managers are all awesome and it's great working in an environment where there isn't an air of competition. It's also great to be able to learn about all the different kinds of cookware tools that are out there to not only educate customers, but also yourself. The discount is also a great plus!

Cons

There's not always a great connection between the store and corporate level, sometimes I think that we aren't given realistic sales goals for the day. I also wish that sales associates were paid more.

Advice to Management

Some more communication between managers about sales associates would be good, there were a few times where there were scheduling errors.

2. From seasonal to corporate in less than a year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The opportunity to climb through the ranks is present, if you're willing to work hard and put yourself out there. A lot of people in the corporate office started as store employees, and through hard work and dedication, made it to corporate positions. The corporate environment is relaxed, execs and upper-level management are easy to talk to and always available, and there's always tons of perks, like food, samples, products, parties, etc.

Cons

It's a lot of work, but that should be understood. It's a relatively fledgling company compared to others, so expect to take a lot on. At the store level, understand that yes, you will be rushed. Yes, there will be pushing and coaching to make sales. After all, it is a retail company.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open and make sure that employees know they're appreciated, and that upward mobility is a possibility.