There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Misrepresentation of job--poor store management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good non-management staff to work with and great discount. Excellent store product mix.

Cons

I was hired as a "seasonal" sales person AFTER Jan 1, 2013. It turns out that I was only there to help with inventory---this was not stated at the time of hire or I would never taken the job. They told me that I would have about 12 - 16 hours per week as a part timer when, in fact, I haven't been scheduled for the past 3 weeks. Management in the Austin store has turned over completely ----they are well meaning but lack any real experience in dealing with staff.. On balance--with years of retail experience--this is the worst management team I have ever seen. Area management has also been completely non-responsive to emails seeking to understand their policies.

Advice to Management

Improve your abominable staff communication. Educate your store management team on how to engage with their staffers and create a team--talk to your people!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great discount on most products. Stay more than 3 months and receive discount on high-end electrics. Most people shopping in a kitchen store are in a good mood. Products are fun.

Cons

MUST be available all the time. Different work schedules every week and they often change the schedule without calling you. Lousy pay. Store management changes often.

Advice to Management

Offer a more stable schedule. Offer better pay to keep your employees. It's costs a lot of money to train a person - try to keep them.

2. Fun, Friendly environment with opportunity to learn and grow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the different people I work with, my managers are all awesome and it's great working in an environment where there isn't an air of competition. It's also great to be able to learn about all the different kinds of cookware tools that are out there to not only educate customers, but also yourself. The discount is also a great plus!

Cons

There's not always a great connection between the store and corporate level, sometimes I think that we aren't given realistic sales goals for the day. I also wish that sales associates were paid more.

Advice to Management

Some more communication between managers about sales associates would be good, there were a few times where there were scheduling errors.