Sur La Table

www.surlatable.com
  www.surlatable.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Misrepresentation of job--poor store management

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good non-management staff to work with and great discount. Excellent store product mix.

Cons

I was hired as a "seasonal" sales person AFTER Jan 1, 2013. It turns out that I was only there to help with inventory---this was not stated at the time of hire or I would never taken the job. They told me that I would have about 12 - 16 hours per week as a part timer when, in fact, I haven't been scheduled for the past 3 weeks. Management in the Austin store has turned over completely ----they are well meaning but lack any real experience in dealing with staff.. On balance--with years of retail experience--this is the worst management team I have ever seen. Area management has also been completely non-responsive to emails seeking to understand their policies.

Improve your abominable staff communication. Educate your store management team on how to engage with their staffers and create a team--talk to your people!

200 Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table (View Most Recent)

Fun, Friendly environment with opportunity to learn and grow

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burlingame, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love the different people I work with, my managers are all awesome and it's great working in an environment where there isn't an air of competition. It's also great to be able to learn about all the different kinds of cookware tools that are out there to not only educate customers, but also yourself. The discount is also a great plus!

Cons

There's not always a great connection between the store and corporate level, sometimes I think that we aren't given realistic sales goals for the day. I also wish that sales associates were paid more.

Some more communication between managers about sales associates would be good, there were a few times where there were scheduling errors.

From seasonal to corporate in less than a year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sur La Table full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to climb through the ranks is present, if you're willing to work hard and put yourself out there. A lot of people in the corporate office started as store employees, and through hard work and dedication, made it to corporate positions. The corporate environment is relaxed, execs and upper-level management are easy to talk to and always available, and there's always tons of perks, like food, samples, products, parties, etc.

Cons

It's a lot of work, but that should be understood. It's a relatively fledgling company compared to others, so expect to take a lot on. At the store level, understand that yes, you will be rushed. Yes, there will be pushing and coaching to make sales. After all, it is a retail company.

Keep the lines of communication open and make sure that employees know they're appreciated, and that upward mobility is a possibility.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table