There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

It would take a lot to make me leave.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is amazing and the uniform is pretty easy to manage while still being able to express myself (solid colors). Also, the company runs on California state laws so most shifts are 4-4.5 hours instead of 5-5.5 without having to get a break. (I live in Massachusetts)

Cons

I know part of the requirement is to be able to lift 35 pounds, but what is not mentioned is that sometimes you have to do it while standing on a ladder. My store also just needs more people.

193 Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table (View Most Recent)

The company is profit driven and their employees are expendable.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Sur La Table part-time

Pros

They have a generous discount and scheduling can be flexible.

Cons

It is not an environment where employees can comfortably bring up issues, continual criticism that is not constructive, low wages, terrible scheduling, upper management that is: rude, passive aggressive, discourteous, can have a vigorously fake demeanor to make sales, management won't care about issues other than that which applies to making profits. There is poor management of 'team', overworking staff because of not scheduling enough employees to work, also hiring more when they should be giving more hours to current employees, not paying kitchen assistants enough to do all front and back of house jobs and to sell too, management causes stressful environment, lack of urgent responses to fix/replace things that need attention, no break room, poor cleanliness of culinary area. Overall, it is a tiptoe environment.

Dear Upper Management,

You are a apart of a company where employees are only numbers. We know this through your disloyalty and lack of respect and also that we can be quickly replaced by another individual.

Your management and interpersonal skills (or may I politely say, lack there-of to both!) are clearly not in the best interest of anyone but yourself. You see that we chefs, retail personnel, kitchen assistants, and some managers are continually understaffed, under appreciated, thus stressed. Yet we try to please you because we hope not to deal with passive aggression. What I find interesting is that you also expect a smaller team to do the work that requires many more. Please do think, why is that? Is it too much to add another person to the schedule? You expect efficiency as do I, but when the store is understaffed, we cannot always finish the work that we're supposed to do and then ensure that everything is ready for the next team? Do you take pleasure in keeping the environment stressful? Perhaps it is that you would rather overwork employees rather than to pay additional employees miniscule amounts to lighten the load. I know it is very clear, but just in case you fail to take notice, the consequences of under staffing has lead to a dirty and hazardous work environment.

I understand that depending on the establishment and type of company, that there are different rules. I implore you, as management, that do you not care that there is no specified space, let alone a SINGLE chair that is dedicated to a break? Does this not bother you that your staff runs around yet must either leave or find a box (hopefully not one that says fragile) to sit on? That they must wiggle their legs 90 degrees to let persons walk past? Despite the possibility that there might not be a law for a break area in this institution, I still think that as decent management, let alone fellow humans, that more effort would had been made to amend the situation. For this, you do not care for our breaks so long as you don't get a fine. You don't care that we waste time going places for break; you do not care for us. How does this reflect on the company?

I must mention that the majority does not behave as such, that some truly wonderful staff and some very kind managers do try to help, but I see that their jobs are on the line too. Even so, there are limits that must be set and not surpassed. I speak of these issues as huge obstacles, but I believe that these are amendable if you make yourselves open to hearing, truly listening, and to honestly care about our well being.

It is possible that I have too much of a romantic notion with how a workplace should be. These words here are not only of my own, but are a representation of the sentiments of us employees store wide. I understand that you're under immense pressure to perform and that your jobs require much of you all, but I can say for certain that the current behavior is absolutely unacceptable. Whether I too am management or not, everyone deserves adequate respect regardless of rank, age, or length of work at the company.

Please take this not as an attack, but as advice on what you can improve upon, because we all know that improvement is unbelievably necessary.

Wishing you much health and kindness

Sur La Table Response

Jan 7, 2014Director, Talent Management

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback. This is not the experience we aspire to create for employees in our stores and we would like to hear more from you. I invite you to ... More

Most fun I ever had

Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sur La Table part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers are happy when they shop here so it makes your job easy. It's like hosting an event every day. Products are of the highest quality, extensive variety, latest innovations, and the employee discount is great.

Cons

standard retail work, busy season is October through January. Pay is low. no opportunity to move up. little interest in local marketing.

Send your employees catalogs, they are some of your best customers and they can learn about the product on their own time. Involve your employees in marketing innovations, especially since they are part timers they have access to networks outside your stores. Even an employee suggestion system might uncover some great ideas.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table