Sur La Table

www.surlatable.com

Ok

Former Employee - Reporting Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Reporting Analyst in Seattle, WA

Pros

They give you freebies
Growth potential

Cons

People are not very friendly

Other reviews for Sur La Table

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

Very enjoyable environment to work in. Most every employee is easy going, helpful and friendly. Generous discount. relaxed work flow. Nothing particularly difficult or challenging. great temporary job or great job for people new to retail. Not too difficult to advance. my personal manager is perhaps the best one i have ever had but i dont think all stores are this lucky.

Cons

little to no pay offs. seeing others promoted makes me glad i didn't go for a higher position. company has unrealistic goals with laughable rewards for the amount of knowledge and sales they ask of employees. as far as i hear the pay upgrade from associate to manager isn't significant especially for the stress you get afterwards when you don't meet the unrealistic goals. very often hours are cut. I've worked weeks with only 4.5 hours. sell a $5000 machine? here is a $20 gift card to the store you work at.

store associates and even store managers are in the same boat and bare the brunt of the company. Company asks too much of associates who push the CORE sales with often times little to no worth while rewards. why should i struggle to push your sales and beg to get at least 20 hours week to week?

Run Away. Be afraid; be very afraid.

Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Kitchen Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I had some wonderful coworkers. 40% discount on non-sale items. Did I mention the discount? Highly qualified part time chefs.

Cons

Because employees are part time, the supervisors think the underlings should be virtually on-call. Although no one on earth can afford to live off of what SLT pays, management doesn't seem to factor in that employees need their schedules to coordinate with other obligations (Job #2 and #3/School/Family). Sketchy attitude about breaks. Kitchen Assistants are paid the worst hourly wage possible under State law, whether or not they have extensive experience. Four Resident Chefs in two years. Unprofessional, disrespectful supervisors who have no experience with people; some have no experience with cooking or teaching cooking.

While Jack Schwefel is the CEO, don't be fooled into thinking this is a Mom and Pop organization. SLT is owned by Investcorp, a multinational investment fund. Given the fact that the bad management stayed that way for the entire two years I worked there, I can only assume that Management likes the way the Sur La Table train wreck functions, so I won't waste any breath on advice to management.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!