A place to enjoy Corporate working

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Great customers to meet. Solid discount. Enjoyable training events.

Cons

Management, management, management. With the turnaround of employees and staff happening faster than a meal ordered at McDonald's, it's no surprise this is their biggest problem. They don't know how to balance managing a team, with a realistic expectation from their employees. Unfortunately the company has become so focused on sell, sell, sell, that they don't compensate the thoughts of their employees. I knew this store was going in a bad direction when improvements to our stock/ break room left us without a fridge or even water for months. As much as they promised to substitute water for the time being - they never did. They never cared to listen to the complaints and concerns of us. Instead, they wanted more selling, higher sales, and still pay us minimum wage. I'm not sure how you think your expectations are realistic. I could not be more dissatisfied with the way this company has turned into.

Re-evaluate what your mission statement is, and the core values of this company and realize you have stepped so far from it, that this is no longer the company it once was. Listen to your employees because it is the sales associates that work the hardest meeting the goals you so kindly put forth. If the sales associates aren't happy, you're not going to get the results you want.

Other Reviews for Sur La Table

Best Retail Job I EVER Had

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Overall, my Store Manager was the most professional, warm and dedicated person I have ever worked for. She had immense product knowledge, sense of humor and strict workmanship. We always wanted to excel for her due to her encouragement. Accolades (sp?) for our sales were constant. We were treated as though the store's business was our own business. We all stood for the Sur la Table value and brand because of the positive environment.

Cons

The ability to get a nominal pay increase was not available at the time. Must be a real hustler to work there - it is constantly busy and you are always on the move. Not really a con for many - but don't apply if you can't take constant business flow.

Offer just a tad more upper management incentive flow to the sales floor. Kudos were sent frequently, but maybe they should be addressed to the individual employee rather than to the store in general.

If you like shopping here, don't go to work here, you won't want to shop here anymore

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

The discount is ok, the customers are nice, if you are a foodie you will enjoy talking about food and cooking at work, nice products

Cons

Poor management, no real policies, only the ones they make up as they go along to pacify or scold employees, depending on the day. No training to speak of regarding product, except select high priced items. Although they carry many products, you are told not to sell certain ones because of price point or profit margin, scolded if you do. Zero communication - you never know if what you are going to do is going to incur the wrath of a manager - micro management to the point of ridiculous, if management is the right word. You may be told you are empowered to make decisions, but you are not. There is no right answer here, as someone else mentioned. Back stabbing and gossip between management and employees. Unfair and rude treatment of employees, with no accountability to anyone. Upper management answers to no one, while they are fully aware of problems, they don't care how employees are treated. If you are brave enough to ask for some accountability, you will be retaliated against with cut hours, even more rude treatment and a hostile work environment. You may not get fired, but they will be sure you quit. Promises of pay raises never happen - if they do they are insulting at best. No adherence to labor laws regarding breaks and hours worked. Really high turnover rate creates instability and confusion on everyones part. Read all of the other reviews, and include anything I forgot - they are very accurate and and should be a warning to anyone thinking of working here.

Someone up there please pay attention to these reviews. Sur La Table has the potential to be a good place to work, but the current management style is a disaster. I am sure you could still turn a profit without alienating your employees and former employees and turning them into customers of your competition. With the high turnover rate, that could be a lot of people.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table.

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!