There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Destructive Management Style

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Santa Monica, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Interesting customers
Learn a great deal from customers
40% discount on regular priced items
Many of the co-workers are really nice

Cons

Management, which includes the District Manager, do not care about the employees, its all about reports. Long term employees are not respected. There is no recognition of employees strengths or accomplishments unless you are among the chosen few. Holiday hiring a disaster-hours are kept mainly for the temp workers who are also paid a higher hourly salary. Those employees with product knowledge are pressured to sell, sell, sell while the temps are on the registers. So different expectations, different salaries.

Read the review dated 5/20/10 "Some reasons to work for Williams and Sonoma instead of Sur La Table". Clueless management don't know how to keep good employees.

190 Other Employee Reviews for Sur La Table (View Most Recent)

A place to enjoy Corporate working

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Great customers to meet. Solid discount. Enjoyable training events.

Cons

Management, management, management. With the turnaround of employees and staff happening faster than a meal ordered at McDonald's, it's no surprise this is their biggest problem. They don't know how to balance managing a team, with a realistic expectation from their employees. Unfortunately the company has become so focused on sell, sell, sell, that they don't compensate the thoughts of their employees. I knew this store was going in a bad direction when improvements to our stock/ break room left us without a fridge or even water for months. As much as they promised to substitute water for the time being - they never did. They never cared to listen to the complaints and concerns of us. Instead, they wanted more selling, higher sales, and still pay us minimum wage. I'm not sure how you think your expectations are realistic. I could not be more dissatisfied with the way this company has turned into.

Re-evaluate what your mission statement is, and the core values of this company and realize you have stepped so far from it, that this is no longer the company it once was. Listen to your employees because it is the sales associates that work the hardest meeting the goals you so kindly put forth. If the sales associates aren't happy, you're not going to get the results you want.

Best Retail Job I EVER Had

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Overall, my Store Manager was the most professional, warm and dedicated person I have ever worked for. She had immense product knowledge, sense of humor and strict workmanship. We always wanted to excel for her due to her encouragement. Accolades (sp?) for our sales were constant. We were treated as though the store's business was our own business. We all stood for the Sur la Table value and brand because of the positive environment.

Cons

The ability to get a nominal pay increase was not available at the time. Must be a real hustler to work there - it is constantly busy and you are always on the move. Not really a con for many - but don't apply if you can't take constant business flow.

Offer just a tad more upper management incentive flow to the sales floor. Kudos were sent frequently, but maybe they should be addressed to the individual employee rather than to the store in general.

There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Worked for Sur La Table? Contribute to the Community!