There are newer employer reviews for Sur La Table

Company on the rise - would have loved to stay but spouse relo'd with a promotion.

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Great Brand and the management is passionate. Company was mom and pop - is now focused on growth... some old timers are bitter - but now the company is profitable and secure.

Cons

These people work hard and expect the same from everyone! VPs are the first to come in and the last to leave - a big work ethic is expected.

Advice to Management

Communicate more! There are lots of good things going on- lots of promotion from with in - but it is not always celebrated.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Unfair Management Practices

Current Employee - Floor Lead in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Floor Lead in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sur La Table

Pros

Knowledgeable sales staff. Great customers and wonderful porducts and good values.

Cons

As an employee of Sur la Table, though I am one of the "chosen few", I myself have been berated and embarrassed by my manager more than once on the floor, in front of other employees, and customers. Although it was a shocking experience, I came to realize that this is the typical treatment of employees by the management. I witnessed this happeingin to other employees, and in fact, to my own assistant manager by the store manager and to the store manager by the district manager. I began to realize it's akin to a dysfunctional family and realizing the corporate culture of Sur la Table involved such distasteful behavior, I decided that my talents would serve better to another company.

Advice to Management

Sur la Table is fortunate to hire employees (comprised mostly of customers) who have a creative passion for food, cooking, cookware and the myriad of accoutrement that entails; mostly because they don't really train their staff. It will be an unfortunate end however; when those employees (customers) become so disenchanted with the treatment they receive from management that they leave their employment and vow to shop exclusively at cooking.com and Williams Sonoma and the many other cooking supply stores that offer the same merchandise without the drama.

Sur La Table-A Hostile Work Environment

Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Sur La Table

Pros

Sales associates and customers alike share a love of all things cooking. Sur La Table products are well selected for the foodie. Cooking classes are excellent.

Cons

With over 30 years experience in all levels of corporate business, I have never experienced the level of unprofessionalism and incompetence as evidenced by my local Sur La Table store manager. The store manager consistently created a hostile work environment where sales associates were routinely reprimanded in front of both co-workers and customers for no apparent reason. Favoritism was prevalent. Sales associates and assistant managers have been systematically terminated or their hours diminished to zero to force resignation. Management does not seem to understand the concept of teamwork and respect for co-workers and staff. These practices are particularly alarming as the majority of the sales associates and assistant managers have many years of experience in either retail sales or other positions in corporate America. All employees that I worked with had a strong work ethic as well as the skill set needed to attract customers and build sales at Sur La Table. Finally, we were discouraged from addressing any personnel issues with HR, and were not even given access to a phone number or e-mail address to address our concerns. I highly discourage anyone from making the mistake of joining this company as a sales associate or assistant manager.

Advice to Management

Sur La Table senior management would benefit by doing a better job of keeping it's "ears and eyes" on its local operations employee practices. It would be wise for management to look at other retail Best in Class models and incorporate some of their employee practices that could improve morale, productivity, and sales for their organization.