Changing company.

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Roseville, CA
Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Roseville, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, location, family oriented, benefits. The company is involved in a lot of local charitible organizations and contributes to the community.

Cons

Some upper management struggled in letting go of the "Roseville Telephone" mentallity. Legacy employees were often bitter about changes, not realizing how great the company is compared to the "real" world having been with the same company all their lives.

Other Employee Reviews for SureWest Communications

1. Plant Service Technician

Former Employee - Plant Service Technician I in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Plant Service Technician I in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SureWest Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work independently. Work with great people. Great benefits. Great corporate culture. Good work/life balance. Entry-level to high mod-level management is trust worthy (i.e. the managers you are most likely to deal with.)

Cons

Work in all kinds of weather. Work in homes that vary greatly in terms of cleanliness (some people are pigs) Work on Saturdays on a rotational basis if you do not have adequate seniority. Recently bought by Consolidate Communications who started off their relationship with their newly acquired company (Surewest) with lies and massive layoffs.

Advice to Management

Don't let Consolidated Communications (new owners) completely strangle the Surewest culture. It was the culture that I valued most about this employer and Consolidated has started things off on the wrong foot. At least I got an awesome severance package and I'm not around to see that culture flounder and die. The former CEO, Steve Oldham, sold this company off to his USTA buddy, leaving a bunch of employees hung out to dry while he got a serious golden handshake.

2. Trying to overcome old school ways to be a more cutting edge company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at SureWest Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management was open to culture ideas and programs Flexible telecommute program Great co-workers

Cons

Too many obstacles to overcome to get things done fast Needed more strong executive team members (some were very good, but not enough were)

Advice to Management

Get out and about with employees more.