Surrey County Council
www.surreycc.gov.uk Kingston, United Kingdom

Overall a good job, satisfactory pay, conditions are good, feel like a valued member of the team

Library Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Surrey County Council part-time for less than a year

Pros- Stimulating, varied work with a generally pleasant team of people
- Lots of training and personal development opportunities
- Pay is well over minimum wage, and satisfactory for the level I am at
- Holiday and sick pay conditions are very good
- Staff meetings are good, very open and all staff are invited to add items to the agenda without repercussions
- I feel that my strengths have been identified early on in the job and I am asked to utilise my strengths both in my individual work and team work
- Recently refurbished building in a nice area, staff parking is provided
- Staff break room is very nice and relaxing, well-equipped

Cons- Management are held accountable to one another so problems become circular.
- While there is plenty of opportunity to go on training courses, my basic job training is still ongoing and I've been there for about five months. I had to teach myself to do quite a few things which are crucial to my job.
- I'm currently on a part time contract and due to cuts in the service I will have to either wait for someone to leave or transfer to another library in order to get a full time job.
- Senior management make decisions without thinking about the effects those decisions will have (eg no longer putting books on backstock, no longer allowing extended loans)

Advice to Senior Management- There should be somebody that managers are accountable to, instead of each other, who will take staff problems seriously and enact measures to deal with problems that arise.
- Too much money is wasted on teams (eg. CYP, Health & Wellbeing), when it could be spent on more full-time staff, refurbishing the older libraries (like Guildford), fun & targeted CYP activities, computer courses, etc. to get people into libraries in the first place.
- Make sure that new staff have been properly trained in the first few months rather than allowing their training to go on and on indefinitely.
- Allow library staff to use their discretion in matters like backstocking books, allowing extended loans, weeding and withdrawing.

My experience at the Surrey County Council.

Social Worker (Current Employee)
Guildford, England (UK)

I have been working at Surrey County Council full-time for more than a year

Pros: Supportive and knowledgeable line managers. Cons: Very inconsistent and confusing company policies. No attention to detail. Low level of responsibility and accountability from… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Surrey County Council.

Worked for Surrey County Council? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Surrey County Council reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Surrey County Council employees.