Not Good, Not Bad...

Former Employee - OTR in Inver Grove Heights, MN
Former Employee - OTR in Inver Grove Heights, MN

Pros

Company has a local terminal in my area. Mechanics worked hard to keep equipment in good condition.

Cons

If you don't have things worked out with day dispatch, forget it. There was only one person on nights/weekends who had a clue. I often wondered if others where mentally capable of doing the job. Qualcom communication appeared to be at the level of a 12 yr. old. I had to pull a leased trailer that had a customer lock on it, when I asked if anyone new anything about the lock on the trailer the response I got back was "yes". Very descriptive.

Advice to Management

Communication is a 2 way street.

Other Employee Reviews for Swift Transportation

I love working at Swift, employees are informed of changes, new policies, and a good work environment is encouraged.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Big company with opportunity to grow for those who can relocate. Benefits, Holiday Pay, Great People...

Cons

Every company has room for improvement. Regular raises would be a welcome change.

Advice to Management

...

This is a great place to start your driving career.

Former Employee - Company Driver in Lewiston, ID
    Former Employee - Company Driver in Lewiston, ID

Pros

Ample freight. You will not sit. Considering your minimal downtime, the pay is competitive Mostly drop and hook. Swift is a "puppy mill". New drivers are very welcome. They are good about getting you home. The Lewiston terminal is one of the best to work from. The driving school is top notch. Good, late model tractors and trailers.

Cons

Bad company reputation. It's not completely deserved, but it wears on you. Sloooooow trucks. Trying to get extra pay that you should be due can be a challenge. Being a trainer is heavily pushed, but it's not for the faint of heart. You likely won't stay with Swift long term as a new driver (but you will likely come back). Cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s. If trouble can be pinned on you, someone may try. It's a big company. CYA is the order of the day.

Advice to Management

Your drivers are your most important resource. Without them, NOTHING happens. This is more than just a slogan or a memo point. Make it the everyday mantra, and LIVE IT. I saw the driver appreciation displayed by management slip in my time (I was there off and on from 1998 to 2009). Recapture the focus on the driver that built the company from #4 to #1during my tenure.