Swift Transportation

There are newer employer reviews for Swift Transportation

AVOID THIS PLACE LIKE THE PLAGUE

Former Employee - Company Driver in Menasha, WI
Former Employee - Company Driver in Menasha, WI

I worked at Swift Transportation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent trucks, thats about it

Cons

can't fit it in 20 words or less

FIRE YOURSELVES, avoid this place, i was warned but didn't listen

138 Other Employee Reviews for Swift Transportation (View Most Recent)

Intro Company for Drivers

Current Employee - Walmart Dedicated Driver in Opelika, AL
    Current Employee - Walmart Dedicated Driver in Opelika, AL

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are plenty of resources to work with such as terminals, equipment and yes, people. A large company that is a great place to get started as a driver.

Cons

There is no room for improvement. It was easy to come in to but regardless of how well you do there a driver is not rewarded. Platinum driver ranking, -10 safety rating, and 100% on time with a spotless record means nothing in the end. I went dedicated and got paid $200-300 less per week than those in the Distribution Center 100 miles away simply because Swift told me it would be the same. Overall, Swift lies to entice new drivers.

Tell the truth.

Overall OK, but most use it as a place to get the experience you need to go to a better company

Former Employee - Driver, Mentor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Driver, Mentor in Denver, CO

I worked at Swift Transportation

Pros

I did love parts of my time driving for Swift. I had a good tractor, and didn't give me much trouble after they finally got it fixed right, by sending it to Volvo and reprograming the injector codes. The first 2 driver managers I had were fantastic. In 2 years I only had one mess up where I sat for a weekend in Indiana with no pay. My 2nd DM really kept me running and I got on dedicated runs (K-Mart) which I really liked. I made decent money and had OK home time. It was nice having so many terminals where you could shower and get your repairs done. You can drive out of any terminal regardless where you live. That’s nice too.
    The other thing that was nice was that my mentor worked there for over 10 years and knew a bunch of people so that if I had any issues, I could call him and he could tell me who to call to get things done.
    It's a good company to get your feet wet and get used to driving for a living.
    I was able to take my driver training at a local school so I didn't have to go to a Swift school.

Cons

Like others have said, it's a "good old boy" network. If you make someone pissed, they can really mess with you. You have to keep a record of everything to back you up, (CYA). They are always "loosing" your logs, and if you don't get them to them real fast, you will be sitting in a log class on your own time, not making a dime. Keep a record of everything, and when you commutate with your DM, do it in writing. That kind of ticks them off, but it keeps them on their toes. My new (and last) DM took one of the highest producing fleets and put it right on the bottom. I had asked for a new DM, but was told that there wasn't anyone who could take on another driver because they were so understaffed here in Denver. When I resigned, I put it in writing and listed my reasons for quitting. 2 years later, when I was laid off at another company, Swift tried to fight my unemployment saying that I quit to care for my sick wife. My DM made this up and told my Fleet Manager that I quit to care for my wife. I had the letter, and it was in my file, (I guess it was pulled before she thought of removing it), so I was able to prove the reason I left due to low miles. I went to work for a small company, and while I had a couple of layoffs, I made much better money, and only ran from CO. to CA. Home every 2-4 days. If you get in Southern CA. with Swift, be prepared to be doing some local deliveries for them. It's the only way to will get out of there. I know one guy who sat there for a week waiting for a load out. Keep in mind, when you do leave, Swift employs a company that does nothing but fight unemployment claims. The good thing about this is that the company that fight the claim, has no real knowledge of you or your situation. That's one reason that you have to do things in writing. Even E-Mail is better than just calling. IF you use your E-Mail, you have a good record of what was said.
    Make sure you have a good DM, and insist you need another if you have issues with your present one. My last DM told me to falsify my logs to make a delivery that was given to me far too late to deliver on time. I did it, but I regret doing it. Don't do that to make up for their lack of organization. You will regret it, and if you have an accident, you can end up in jail for doing it. It isn't worth doing the least bit if fibbing on your logs! Keep them accurate, neat, and always keep a copy. Always copy your BOL's and keep a copy. I had a program that I kept my logs on with my personal laptop. It was the best thing I ever got. You can print out a copy of any log you need, and you can scan your BOL's and print them out anytime you need to.
    I tried to be a mentor, and I just couldn't do it. I had one student that would not go in the sleeper if I was driving because he didn’t want to "invade my space", (I actually do bathe, a lot!) and I had another that just couldn't keep the truck in one lane, along with not being able to shift. I didn't make a good teacher. Be careful on the lease/option too. You have to really run your butt off to keep up with the payments. I had a friend that just went and bought his from a dealer and came out much better, and he had a Western Star. Check all angles before you get into that, and go in with your eyes open.
    Last, CYA, CYA, and CYA

Please check on your drivers and keep them appraised on what on their records. I had one service failure that I didn't know was on there because it was a 57 foot trailer in Florida, and no one got the permits to pull it to TX. I refused to pull it without the proper permit, which pissed the planner off, so he gave me a service failure for not picking up an empty! If I had known it was on my record, I could have fought it. Keep track of your drivers records. Stop making the drivers take the log classes on their own time and not paying them for it. The DOT says if you have to log for the "on duty, not driving", you must be paid for it. You don't pay your drivers for taking the class, and you want them to log it as on duty. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
    I made a complaint on my DM for telling me to make a false log, and as far as I know, not one thing was done about it. She took one of the best fleets in Denver, and turned it into one of the worst fleets in Denver. I was told that they would not put her back in a truck because they needed DM's so bad. At what point do you draw the line? Why was she allowed to keep screwing things up? Either retrain her or get her out of the place where she's doing so much damage. There are a lot of driver who would make good DM's if you give them the chance. Look to your driver as a resource for DM's and stop hiring people off the street, like she was.
    Raise the rate of pay for your drivers. You pay the same as when I started in 2006. After I left Swift, I was employed by a company that only runs from CO. TO CA. and NM., and I made $1500.00 a week average. There was weeks in Swift that I made less than $100.00, and I was ready and willing to run. To me that's wasting a resource. Of course this tractor was not governed at 62 MMPH, but at 75. I still kept it around 65 MPH, and had my mileage at around 7 to 8 MPG. Not too bad when hauling heavy.

There are newer employer reviews for Swift Transportation