There are newer employer reviews for Swift Transportation

Truck Driver with Swift Transportation

Former Employee - Truck Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They Have plenty of loads, great pay packages, and home time. Plenty of terminals in big city's so always a place to park in most situations.

Cons

There school was a fraud. They could care less about there drivers. You are a number not a name. They have a great room for improvement. They let anybody drive for them and that is a major safety concern.

113 Other Employee Reviews for Swift Transportation (View Most Recent)

Working for Swift was the worst decision of my life.

Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Professional Truck Driver in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Swift Transportation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Seeing the country. Besides that there's very little benefit to working for a company like this. They don't call Swift the WalMart of trucking for no reason. Stay away.

Cons

You'll learn very quickly that you are there for one reason. Make the suits at Phoenix more money. I understand that's what a business is about but it's not supposed to be at ALL costs. They act like their employees are also their customers. Some of their terminals are like small cities where everything is at truck stop(highly inflated) pricing. And God help you if you're a company driver. Those people REALLY get trashed. They'll make you miserable and constantly try to get you to go with their lease/op program where you guessed it, they'll make even more money off of you. There's a reason they can't keep drivers for more than a couple months. They treat them like garbage. Doesn't matter if you're barely making enougn to eat. Doesn't matter if you get home for a couple days of time off WEEKS late. It's all about their pockets. You expect layover pay when their garbage equipment breaks down? You better expect to have to FIGHT for it. You expect the shop mechanics to know what they're doing? Know now that the majority of them are also trainees. You'll come out of the shop with more problems than you went in with. I won't even get into the constant lying from the DM's, Planners, CSR's and everyone above them. Swift is an absolute joke. Avoid them at ALL costs.

Stop treating your employees like dirt. You say you respect us and then screw us over at every opportunity.

Richard Stocking - YES, your company is too big!

Current Employee - Office Staff  in  West Valley City, UT
    Current Employee - Office Staff in West Valley City, UT

I have been working at Swift Transportation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Coworkers are awesome in the office.

Cons

This list is going to be long-

-Swift has taken away many of our capabilities to do our jobs efficiently. As a result, drivers are more angry than ever. We no longer have the capability to accurately predict how much freight we need for the amount of trucks coming into the areas. We no longer have the capability to quickly and accurately find trailers for the drivers.

-Perhaps the most frustrating is Swift's gigantic bureaucracy that has a nasty habit of 'passing the buck' to another vague department that no one knows the true purpose of.

-Swift has proven time and again that they do not understand specialty freight, and no one is listening when we express our concerns. For example, when we first merged over we requested a macro to be created for yard checks so we could monitor fuel and temperature levels. Swift promptly denied us saying that the requested macro was 'not necessary for the business'. In the past few months we've paid several hundred thousand in OS&D claims due to trailers running out of fuel and spoiling freight. Still, no one listens.

-From a planning standpoint, Swift's grading system makes no sense. The planner scorecards do not care about deadhead mileage. They only score on how often planners use the computer's recommendations to match trucks with loads. This is a system that can be manipulated to show flawless performance. The recommendation system only gives a mere 500 miles per day to most teams, requiring the planners to manually plan on an ANCIENT system to get drivers the miles to pay their bills.

-We've had several office staff hospitalized from the stress since we were merged. And I do mean several.

-Swift and their COO Richard Stocking require us to attend something called 'Swift University'. This has got to be the biggest waste of company money I have EVER seen. I was required to attend online classes for what was called a 'leadership training'. One of the courses was, literally, a documentary about the Secretariat-the race horse. With nothing at the end to translate it to how it helped me become a leader. The next video was a montage of inspirational speeches from sports movies. Swift has several thousand office staff that were required to take this course. Assuming everyone makes $10-$18 an hour, and that everyone spent the three hours taking this course, Swift spent an estimated $90,000-$162,000 to show it's office workers a documentary about a racehorse.

-AS400 is ancient. SO ancient. It was written in 1988. The mouse was invented in 1992. The outdated computer system requires exponentially more keystrokes than any other system in the industry. Several office staff have reported severe pain related to carpal tunnel syndrome.

-Drivers aren't making money. They are being VERY nasty to the office staff. There's only so much we can do when our hands have been zip-tied behind our backs and we're forced to bob for apples to get our basic duties done. We're doing three times the footwork and only capable of accomplishing 25-50% of what we were doing before. We've had to hire more office staff to keep up with the demand, and we're still struggling to push our numbers up to what they were before the merger.

-Benefits are some of the worst I've ever seen. Insurance refuses to pay a dime till the deductible has been hit. There are much better insurance plans out there people. Don't be disillusioned thinking that Swift has a good insurance plan. It's only useful if you have a catastrophic accident. In the mean time you'll have to pay a fortune to maintain your good health.

Upgrade your computer program and lay off half your office staff. It's that simple. Let people with real skill make your company and drivers money. Trim the fat.

There are newer employer reviews for Swift Transportation

Worked for Swift Transportation? Contribute to the Community!