Swift Transportation

www.swifttrans.com

The Best in class

Current Employee - Professional Driver
Current Employee - Professional Driver

Pros

So far so good ib dont have any complaints right now. Best in Class

Cons

There trucks are slow, and not enough ho6me time

Other reviews for Swift Transportation

Overworked and underpaid

Pros

There is not a lot of pros here. Only pro is traveling occasionally

Cons

Salary is much lower than other carriers. Prepare yourself to work more than what they tell you. No communication whatsoever. It's a sink or swim mentality

Pay employees accordingly

Great training and advancement opportunities.

Current Employee - Trailer Mechanic  in  Troutdale, OR
    Current Employee - Trailer Mechanic in Troutdale, OR

Pros

All of my pros and cons are based off of views I have as a mechanic at my shop.

- Great company to start at if you have little to no experience.
    - Swift provides you with the necessary skills, and opportunities to succeed.
    - Good choice of benefits.
    - Supervisors care about your success.

I'll start from the beginning. I started at Swift about 1.5 years ago. The only experience I had was from high school 8 years earlier, in a class that I quite frankly didn't do so well in. During my interview for Swift, they informed me about some advancement opportunities that sounded very good for a motivated individual. Swift hired me as a 3MT trailer mechanic. They started me off learning the basics of course. But as time went on(about 1.5 months later) I dug into the promotional packet I was provided(This is the advancement opportunity I mentioned earlier.) Basically, it's just a packet filled with tasks to be performed. Every time you complete a task, you bring the packet to your supervisor and get it signed off on. The packet has about 3-6 pages of tasks. Once you finish a packet, you bring it to your terminal manager, and he signs off the last page(attendance, safety, etc.) Then he sends it off. About 2 weeks later, a test is uploaded, and you take the test. You have to pass with 80%. If you pass the test, you get a raise of up to $2 per hour, dependent upon attendance, write-ups, etc. $2 an hour may not seem like much, but think of it in the long term. A full time employee will work 2080 hours a year. So in other words, that's a $4160 raise, minimum. You will work overtime. For a motivated individual, this is a fantastic opportunity! You can complete 2 packets per year(Until you have reached the top of the ladder.) In the first 11 months I worked for this company, I completed 2 packets and passed both tests. That, along with your annual increase, you can potentially get $10,000 a year in raises, and possibly more since I didn't include bonuses. In the end, this is an opportunity that you would have to be stupid not to take advantage of, which I see a lot of. There a are a lot of people that just set their packet in their tool box and never even consider it for one reason or another. But considering that whether you finish the packet or not, you will be doing the same exact work. So why not make more money to do it? That is why I said the packets are for motivated individuals. It's 100% up to you where you want to end up.

I won't cover benefits too much, but they do have some pretty good choices. They have medical, dental, vision, hearing, 401k with company match, 2 annual bonuses, etc. Each category has 3 or so levels of coverage to choose from depending on how much you want to pay, and the level of coverage you want.

Supervisors do seem to care about your success. They want you to learn and advance. Some push you to advance, and complete packets. They are always there to assist you and provide you with their knowledge and better ways for you to complete a task, which will bring me to my last point.

My last point will be part of the pros and cons. As my terminal manager informed me, this is an industry based off of opinions. Everybody has their own, and there are times that this is good, and times that this is not so good. There will be times that your opinion is overshadowed. As long as the outcome is safe and legal, there are usually no problems. The good side is that your are at most times your own boss, and you call the shots on how you want to perform the task at hand(As long as you are safe!)

Cons

Lower compensation than most other companies.

At this point I really enjoy my job, and the cons that I have are very small. Most likely only cons relating to my particular shop, and nothing really worth noting. It is very dirty work, but that is what you sign up for.

There are newer employer reviews for Swift Transportation.

Worked for Swift Transportation? Contribute to the Community!