There are newer employer reviews for Swisher Hygiene

The Worst Employment Experience of My Life

Former Employee - Manager
Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Swisher Hygiene

Pros

They will pay you well when they need you, but once you have fixed the problems, and have the business unit running well, they will get rid of you for any warm body that will work for peanuts.

Cons

Everything is terrible. It is a burn and turn work environment. Everyone from top to bottom is threatened with their job on an almost daily basis. Management in Charlotte is totally incompetent, and clueless. They have no basic business reporting available, to monitor the business progress on a daily basis. No one has any confidence in the performance reports because they have so many obvious errors. However, the clueless clowns in Charlotte, who are responsible for producing this garbage in, garbage out, situation cannot be reasoned with. It all comes back to trying to work for people whose only qualification to be in their job is someone knew them and liked them, and put them into a position of authority. Many of them are related to each other. Swisher is one of those companies whose corporate culture seems to be, "We know you did something we don't like, and when we find out what it is, we are going to fire you."

What could you say? They wouldn't listen, this is a sinking ship. They do not value their employees in the least. Everyone, without exception, despises working here. Everyone does the minimum amount of effort to get by, because they know they are going to be fired one day no matter what they do, how well they do it, and if they care or not. So why care? Nobody does!

39 Other Employee Reviews for Swisher Hygiene (View Most Recent)

What Just Happened? I had the best job in the world. Then Swisher bought the company.

Current Employee - C A R
    Current Employee - C A R

I have been working at Swisher Hygiene

Pros

I love the industry. I love my customers. There is nothing else I would rather do. If I have to I will violate the hell out of my no compete/confidentiality contract and do it for someone else.

They have a 401k (100% match on 2% and 50% on the other 2%) and offer benefits that are only slightly worse then what I can find online (okay I don't like working for Swisher because of their garbage benefits).

Cons

1. As a CAR (Sales Rep) I am salary but I still have to clock in, keep a daily log, record my odometer through out the day even though they have a GPS in my truck that records my every move.

2. I live in fear of being terminated for accidentally going over 70 mph. I drive 5-6 thousand miles a month and the majority of my territory is Interstate with a speed limit of 75. If I go over 70 twice in one month or 6 times in my entire career I am fired. This is no joke. If I go 71 mph (regardless of whether or not the speed limit is 75) for even one second the GPS reports the speed, I am given a swisher ticket and a 20 to 30 page report is printed up detailing my RPMS, idle time, every stop and for how long, and my speed while traveling for the entire day. CAR's drive small 1/2 ton pick ups and vans not big trucks that require a CDL. It should not be that big of a deal if some one drives the speed limit.

3. This company appears to have no direction.

4. No infrastructure

5. No communication ( the only communication we get in the field from corporate is a weekly motivational email from the CEO's daughter) No one reads the emails. We want to hear from our leaders not the leaders kids.

You need to retain and attract talent. Start rewarding those who perform. Sales revolve around incentives. Right now Swisher has a negative incentive program. If I sell new business my reward is that I get to install the new business, deliver more chemical, service more accounts, and have more potential service calls. Swisher rewards me for losing business and not selling new accounts because now I have less business to take care of and my pay remains the same.

You can't retain talent or attract talent with your current benefits and big brother tactics. Even if your plan is to just dump this company on Proctor and Gamble or some other company in a few years you are playing a dangerous game by losing all your talented sales force and only replacing them with throw backs from the competition and your newly acquired companies untrained inexperienced delivery guys. As long as Competitiors offer a better place to work then Swisher does the competiton will retain the better employees and consequently keep the better customers.

Pay for better benefits. Your benefits are so poor that you might as well not have any. It made no sense for me to purchase your benefits since I could find my own cheaper and better. Give the employees a 15% discount on purchasing stock like every other corporation in America does. When employees become shareholders they care more about the company.

Do something different with the policy of firing your employees for going over 70 mph. This is an unreasonable and unneccessarily harsh policy. This policy is costing swisher most if not all of their talented employees. It creates unneccessary stress in your Reps lives and adds to the over all low company moral. If you are dead set on not having anyone go over 70 then govern my vehicle at 65 mph and stop threatening my livelihood just because I forgot to let off the gas for a split second.

Develop a culture quickly. Communicate with the field better.

A little momentum goes a long way in this industry. Convey your excitement about this company to your employees.

Remember your actions effect thousands of lives including my life and that of my wife and 3 little babies. Please stop making what appears to us in the field as so many stupid choices like firing people for going over 71 mph.. I want to be on a winning team. Please turn this company into the winning team by taking better care of your employees and giving us the incentives and tools to win.

OK place to work

I worked at Swisher Hygiene

Pros

Pay was decent, work schedule was ok.

Cons

Upper management treated you like you were stupid.

Care more about the people who work for you and give them the support you promise.

There are newer employer reviews for Swisher Hygiene