There are newer employer reviews for Switchfly

Good people, decent bennies

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People work hard and have fun, very few jerks, reasonable expectations, a good product for it's space, hard-working sales team, dev managers are excellent

Cons

As a dev, travel space is not very interesting.

13 Other Employee Reviews for Switchfly (View Most Recent)

Fun & Learn

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Management, Compensation, Culture, People, Technology

Cons

HR/Legal, Travel industry is not that much exciting space to be in

Exciting place to work

Current Employee - Principal Engineer
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Great people - We have very sharp, interesting, and fun people that you can learn from as you work.

Challenging domain - the travel domain is surprisingly complicated and one is constantly challenged to satisfy business requirements in a clean and elegant way.

Methodologies to support quality code - Pair programming, unit testing, automated integration testing, agile development.

Rapid growth - we are growing fast so there are lots of opportunities in various areas of the company

interesting technology - We are using cutting edge technology in our web tier (ember) based with a more traditional back end (java/spring). Our platform has been evolving rapidly and there is a lot of room for a sharp person to help shape the future.

Benefits - Pay scale and benefits are excellent. Attending conferences is supported.

Activities - The company sponsors (and pays for) many periodic fun activities (Giants games, ski trips, bicycle events, triathlon, yoga, movie nights) . There is a ping pong table with periodic tournaments. The company caters lunch once a week. There is a great selection of drinks and snacks in the kitchen.

Remote work - We have technology in place that allows senior people to work remotely with great success.

Cons

Rapid growth - We are growing fast, so there are a number of challenges related to that. A new person may feel a bit overwhelmed by a large, complicated application and domain. Our training is evolving and will continue to do so. Training is supplemented by easy access to senior people. It often means that the burden is on the employee to seek out a senior person and ask questions.

Legacy platform - Our platform is evolving, but we have a number of legacy patterns in our code that can make learning the current best practices harder to discern.

Complicated application - Our application is big, complex, and highly configurable. It is hard to learn.

Invest more in training, documentation.

There are newer employer reviews for Switchfly