There are newer employer reviews for Sybase

Stable, with fits of chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

On-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

Cons

No telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time.

This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Your must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus.

Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

reviews filtered by
  1. Great coworkers, definitely could have been a better experience with management.

Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative in Concord, MA

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Great benefits.
    Good food in the cafeteria
    wonderful coworkers
    great company vision
    good pay

Cons

lots of middle management to get in the way
    company is always moving toward a goal but never lets you know how you fit into this goal

Help get entry level employees into better positions earlier before the get lost

Not what I was expecting

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer II in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer II in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

- Great location if you live in Tri-Valley
    - On-site gym
    - Some chances to work on newer technology (mobile, Eclipse plugins)
    - Health insurance can be VERY comprehensive for not a lot of cash out-of-pocket. Really cheap drug co-pays.
    - Lots of good people, who know what they are doing and are good engineers. Everyone I've worked with is good natured and helpful.

Cons

Day to day
    ---------------
    Unbelievably bureaucratic development process. There's a ton of overhead involved in just being able to check out and change one file. Managers must approve code checkins. Code reviews are done, but good luck getting your system set up to take part. Many internal tools were developed in-house, and it shows. Quality seems to be hit or miss, and is quite frankly, understaffed.

Much work is done overseas, so if there's a problem blocking you, you're pretty much stuck until the next day.

Strategy
    -----------
    Lots of disarray when it comes to product strategy. Who is doing what? What are we doing? It seems to change every couple of months. There's a fine line between reacting to what customers/markets want and not sticking to a strategy long enough to see what works. There's also a sad lack of understanding of the target developers.

Management
    ------------------
    While I may be reporting an isolated case, there's lots of micro-management of day-to-day tasks. There are good managers here, but it's very uneven.

Bring the jobs back to the US and you'll see a big increase in morale and quality. Take a hard look at your processes and ask if they make sense anymore or could be done more efficiently.

There are newer employer reviews for Sybase