Sybase

www.sybase.com
  www.sybase.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sybase

Just like every other major SI

Former Employee - Consultant in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Consultant in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Paid slightly higher salary than the other systems integrators I interviewed with. At the time I had about 4 years of software engineering experience in cleared government work.

Cons

Generally treated like the pawn you are. Was not at all impressed with the skill or competence of the management. Seemed like there was a high churn rate.

I think every company says that it will be easy to move between contracts. Sybase was no different but when I wanted to move there was very little available despite their large footprint within the DC area.

137 Other Employee Reviews for Sybase (View Most Recent)

Stable, with fits of chaos

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, CA

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

On-campus fitness center, daycare facility, cafeteria big pluses. Good healthcare and insurance benefits. Dublin campus located in a suburb with reverse traffic is helpful (esp compared to SF or SJ).

Cons

No telecommuting allowed. Christmas Week mandatory company shutdown uses up a week of worker's vacation time.

This is always brought up during "Ask the CEO" sessions; reason given is that we get short vacation (giving up a full week forced to take during Christmas) and no telecommuting so we can enjoy good healthcare. I suspect a lot of people will be willing to pay for higher co-pay or prescriptions if we could work from home a few times a week.

Your must-work-on-site rule is Draconian. What kind of example do we set to when we develop mobile software, but the developers themselves are not allowed to work from home? Get with the 21st Century. Being proud of saving energy by using efficient lightbulbs is hypocritical when you require people to drive their cars and waste time commuting everyday. That's a WAY bigger carbon footprint than any energy savings you get on campus.

Check with HR; top reason for people leaving the company is because you won't allow telecommuting. Yet you have offices all over the world. Just doesn't make sense. Let people work from anywhere they want; just make sure they do the work.

Great coworkers, definitely could have been a better experience with management.

Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative in Concord, MA
    Former Employee - Telemarketing Representative in Concord, MA

I worked at Sybase

Pros

Great benefits.
    Good food in the cafeteria
    wonderful coworkers
    great company vision
    good pay

Cons

lots of middle management to get in the way
    company is always moving toward a goal but never lets you know how you fit into this goal

Help get entry level employees into better positions earlier before the get lost

There are newer employer reviews for Sybase