There are newer employer reviews for Sybase

Great Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sybase

Pros

- Great atmosphere ( free drinks, foosball tournaments, flex hours, laid back, etc. )
- Great people ( very friendly and able to communicate well )
- Salary is above average
- Personal offices to maximize productivity
- Very young office, consistently hiring new co-op as well every 4 months
- Work was challenging and I was given the chance to leave my comfort zone to learn new technologies many times
- Work always felt important even during the less exciting tasks
- Very easy to see the big picture of how the work contributed to the project

Cons

Not much to say here
- Went through some slow periods from time to time, but this is expected at any job

- More real time feed back is needed. Sometimes I learned that there was something I could have improved on, but did not discover it until the review period. A 5 - 10 minute talk before this period would have helped set me on track much sooner.

135 Other Employee Reviews for Sybase (View Most Recent)

A slow easy ride. Enjoy the scenery.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

Sybase is a slow moving company with few ideas but skilled people. This means that the products and offerings that we do work on, are well thought out and usually beat the competition in terms of performance and robustness. There is pride at working at such a level.

Sybase also seems to offer better than average salary. It was reported last month (September 2008) that the average tenure at Sybase is 7 years. This seems extraordinary for a technology company in California. I think the balance of work and life that Sybase strives for, along with the good salary and low stress, allows for many people to enjoy working and building their "Work Family".

There is another positive to working at a slow-moving conservative company. You have the opportunity to try new ideas and tactics at a slower pace. It may seem like a contradiction, but if you are a go-getter with some new ideas, they are still well-received, and sometimes they get funding. This allows for some big fish to try things out in small ponds. And your job isn't dependent on the outcome.

Cons

There is very little aggression in terms of growth. If you are looking for cutting edge, research-driven, design-driven, competitive environment, you should go to Google.

Also, there is a theory that Sybase is suffering from averaging-down. The best employees go elsewhere looking for higher risk-reward, leaving the unexceptional to create a new average.

I personally work with some of the best people in the business, so although I can philosophically understand the idea, I don't see it happening around me.

Bonuses and other non-salary compensation are pretty sparse.

Sybase also tends to buy companies that then either have to be integrated (AvantGo, Extended Systems) or act independently (Mobile 365, XcelleNet). This can create some problems in both directions. With integration, you are sometimes looking at a dwindling team that is being managed remotely and is unhappy. With the independent company, you may be asked to work on a cross team project without sufficient training or resources.

Loosen up! I would love to see more ideas being thrown around the board room, class room, training room and development war room.

Sybase is a great company to work now but should be proactive work/life balance issues.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Sybase

Pros

Stable employer, good compensation, competent management, interesting, challenging work

Cons

Location, does not actively support telecommuting even where telecommuting is reasonable for the job.

Sybase mangement should start supporting alternate work schedules such as telecommuting programs so employees can reduce their commuting costs. Should also consider things like job sharing and alternatives to the 5 day 40 hour week by possibly offering 4 day 10 hour work weeks. Many employees have very long commute times because the company headquarters is located far in the San Francisco East bay and many employees live nearer San Francisco and San Jose and Oakland.

There are newer employer reviews for Sybase

Worked for Sybase? Contribute to the Community!