Sylvan Learning Centers

www.sylvanlearning.com
  www.sylvanlearning.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

These are just franchise owners trying to make a buck! No way to know who are the good ones!

Former Employee - Center Director in Port Orange, FL
Former Employee - Center Director in Port Orange, FL

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

The KIDS, for sure! Loved working with the kids, the parents were generally great too!
Sometimes had quiet time when tutoring sessions weren't going on.
Kinda liked decorating bulletin boards and cleaning up the center a little.
Nice to see the kids improve. I believed in the system.
The tutors were great. Hard to believe so many highly educated and able teachers actually WANTED to make some extra bucks tutoring (especially for the low hourly pay they got)!

Cons

Vacation/time off - what time off? No work/life balance. Usually had to work Saturdays. Such a small center (which most are) that it's hard to leave the building. We literally never went to lunch. I had to bring my lunch or order in. Usually only two to three employees working at each center (besides tutors) so you can't leave your post and they won't allow you to delegate. As Center Director, you're basically just the recruiter. Not really managing much and it really doesn't help your resume like I thought it would. Anyone can own a Sylvan if they have the dough so it's had to know who makes a good owner to work for. Mine were terrible! They micro-managed like crazy and made working there unbearable. The only time I liked it was when they weren't there, but they'd still call a lot! The actual job wasn't bad at all and the system really does work for these kids. You have to keep the seats full, which is sometimes hard, but even if they are full, it's never enough. They will try to find new ways to make a buck and keep you busy! So again, you really aren't managing anything.

Can't give advice to mgmt, they decided to just up and sell their locations and cash in. They gave ZERO notice to employees or students/parents. They took pre-paid contracts all the way up to when they closed their doors. They simply left a note on the door about how they're sorry but had to close permanently due to financial struggles. People are suing now! Glad I got out!

201 Other Employee Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers (View Most Recent)

Was a great place to work before the economy died

Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

good hours, good people, good pay

Cons

Lack of chance to learn new technologies

be honest with employees about company performance

Painful, still trying to forget!

Former Employee - Sylvan Learning Veters Corporate HQ (Survivor) in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros

- Nice working environment
    - Decent (competitive) Paycheck
    - Nice location near inner harbor

Cons

Things may have changed since i was there but this was my opinion on the company during my time:

- Salary is decent but you will be expected to work like a slave to earn those dollars.
    - Leadership seems mighty confused and out of touch; firing off different directives and initiatives; employees sense much politics and inter-dept. rivalry and back biting playing large role in mayhem
    - Working with franchise owners association was often an extraordinary unpleasantry, who imo are the "militant wing of the franchised business." The painful interactions driven mostly by Franchise owners clear and vocal resentment at paying high fees to their corporate bosses
    - Many franchise owners number one priority is $$, not "the kids."
    - Frequent references to "wanting to help kids" by Corporate upper management fails to mask the obvious and true intent which is to grab as many dollars as possible from parents.
    - Corporate employees who created the training programs were essentially a bunch of prima donna's who's selfish needs regularly overshadowed those of other corporate Depts. Most appeared (to me) to be ex-public school teachers who were lazy and didn't want to do the real work of teaching kids. Again, just my opinion!
    - Frequent churn meant a lot of new faces to get used to. The corporate recruiting dept. was kept really busy.

- Try your hand at (yet another) business model?

There are newer employer reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers