Sylvan Learning Centers
www.educate-inc.com Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

These are just franchise owners trying to make a buck! No way to know who are the good ones!

Center Director (Former Employee)
Port Orange, FL

ProsThe KIDS, for sure! Loved working with the kids, the parents were generally great too!
Sometimes had quiet time when tutoring sessions weren't going on.
Kinda liked decorating bulletin boards and cleaning up the center a little.
Nice to see the kids improve. I believed in the system.
The tutors were great. Hard to believe so many highly educated and able teachers actually WANTED to make some extra bucks tutoring (especially for the low hourly pay they got)!

ConsVacation/time off - what time off? No work/life balance. Usually had to work Saturdays. Such a small center (which most are) that it's hard to leave the building. We literally never went to lunch. I had to bring my lunch or order in. Usually only two to three employees working at each center (besides tutors) so you can't leave your post and they won't allow you to delegate. As Center Director, you're basically just the recruiter. Not really managing much and it really doesn't help your resume like I thought it would. Anyone can own a Sylvan if they have the dough so it's had to know who makes a good owner to work for. Mine were terrible! They micro-managed like crazy and made working there unbearable. The only time I liked it was when they weren't there, but they'd still call a lot! The actual job wasn't bad at all and the system really does work for these kids. You have to keep the seats full, which is sometimes hard, but even if they are full, it's never enough. They will try to find new ways to make a buck and keep you busy! So again, you really aren't managing anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan't give advice to mgmt, they decided to just up and sell their locations and cash in. They gave ZERO notice to employees or students/parents. They took pre-paid contracts all the way up to when they closed their doors. They simply left a note on the door about how they're sorry but had to close permanently due to financial struggles. People are suing now! Glad I got out!

Was a great place to work before the economy died

Manager (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros: good hours, good people, good pay Cons: Lack of chance to learn new technologies Advice to Senior Management: be honest with employees about company performance More

Painful, still trying to forget!

Sylvan Learning Veters Corporate HQ (Survivor) (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

I worked at Sylvan Learning Centers

Pros: - Nice working environment - Decent (competitive) Paycheck - Nice location near… Cons: Things may have changed since i was there but this was my opinion on the company during my time: - Salary is decent but you will… Advice to Senior Management: - Try your hand at (yet another) business model? No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sylvan Learning Centers.

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sylvan Learning Centers reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sylvan Learning Centers CEO Jeffrey H. Cohen. All reviews posted anonymously by Sylvan Learning Centers employees.