Sylvan Learning Centers

www.sylvanlearning.com
  www.sylvanlearning.com
There are newer employer reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Sylvan is a great college job

Current Employee - Instructor
Current Employee - Instructor

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for more than a year

Pros

Keeps you sharp on what you teach and every day is different.

Cons

Hard to advance beyond Instructor

Create more opportunity.

184 Other Employee Reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers (View Most Recent)

Education is the name of the game!

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I began working for Sylvan Learning Center over two years ago as a teacher. Over the course of those few years, I went from being a teacher, to a lead teacher, to an associate director, a director of education, and finally the center director. Regardless of the position, I have found and continue to find that the the best part of this company is seeing the outcomes in our students' lives. There is nothing more rewarding than watching a student succeed in a subject which he/she has previously struggled in. Our educational programs work well and the confidence that they build is extraordinary.

Another huge pro to working for Sylvan is that you not only get to see and interact with students on a daily basis, but parents as well! Sylvan requires that we meet with families to review progress on a regular basis and this is one of the most valuable things we do! On top of being able to discuss the student's growth with his/her parent, we also get some time to really connect with our customers. Sylvan views itself as an educational partner with families and the opportunity to have these meetings is key to that partnership.

On a local level, our area manager is a constant and reliable source of help. We've had ongoing trainings with our directors which have been key to building (and rebuilding) our center operations and goals. These trainings and the assistance we receive from our area manager, as well as support we have received in the past from our district manager, have been incredibly valuable and make working at Sylvan that much more enjoyable! It's nice to know that, even if you work alone at a center all morning, you have bosses who are an easy email/phone call away and are more than willing to help you out!

Cons

While education is clearly the focus of our daily operations, it's hardly ever the focus on our corporate meetings or calls. You may receive a pat on the back or a quick shout out if your student's are showing a great deal of educational growth, but sales and revenue are the focus of the company. As someone with an educational background, it can be disheartening to realize how little the company acknowledges the academic component.

Another major con to the company is there seems to be no structure for director reviews and no set system for director/teacher raises. Starting salary for directors seems to be an arbitrary number and throughout the district directors at low performing centers are making more annually than directors at high performing ones. This does not make sense.

There would be less turn over among staff if you focused a bit more on what's important (the education) and were willing to discuss raises with directors and staff.

It is an okay job with no benefits

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Sylvan Learning Centers part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours
    great work environment

Cons

Never know when I will work or not
    don't need to discipline students, tokens do the job

Need more structure with schedule

There are newer employer reviews for Sylvan Learning Centers

Worked for Sylvan Learning Centers? Contribute to the Community!