Symantec

www.symantec.com
  www.symantec.com
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Symantec can be a great place to work, if you are in the right unit.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

We get to do some really cool stuff in the department I'm in. For the most part, I still feel like I'm at a startup.

Cons

Being embarrassed by some of the other pieces of software in our portfolio. When my work reaches outside our group, things grind to a halt. Our IT org is phenomenally inept.

Fix IT. This company is no longer just an anti-virus company. The one size fits all attitude of IT is causing us to be out maneuvered by our competitors and it is also chasing away the more talented employees.

1747 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Potential owners of their space, if they don't trip over themselves

Current Employee - Program Manager in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

If you work in the right org, work life balance considerations are excellent. If not, you may need to move on. It's all about the manager you work for. The company is in a position, with the right strategic direction, to own the security space. Not sure if they've got the risk taking genes to get there.

Cons

For a 6B company, it's all about cost constraints. Peers at other companies receive bonuses commensurate with their accomplishments. Not here.

Act like a 6B company, both in vision and in the way you plan growth.

It's not as much fun as it used to be, but it's still a pretty good place to work.

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

My immediate management has been excellent. They've always been sympathetic about their employee's needs versus the well-being of the company, and they've been very flexible on many occasions. Salary is competitive.

Cons

Middle management is a revolving door, reorganizing every six months to a year. Quality of life has slowly declined over the last few years. Frequent acquisitions sometimes result in disruptions as new companies are absorbed, and some (e.g. Veritas) are traumatic. Not surprisingly, given that it's a computer security company, they're obsessive about internal security, sometimes to a point where it interferes with work.

Stop dragging the company down by sacrificing long-term goals and planning for next month's results; In the last quarter of 2007, management made some bone-headed decisions that should have been obviously counterproductive (well, it was obvious to the guys in the trenches!). They've reversed some of these changes, but in many cases it's too late... good people have gone elsewhere.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec