Symantec

Good Environment with Learning and great people to work with

Former Employee - User Interface Designer in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - User Interface Designer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec

Pros

Great people to work with
In depth understanding of enterprise domains
Good Benefits and perks
Work Life Balance
Good work with recreation

Cons

Bad management at few places
Slow process
Lesser transparency and lesser communication from management
Slow entrant in the new technologies

Improve Top and middle management with rightly skilled people
Keep transparency in recruitment, organizational communications, conduct employee transparent employee feedback and act upon the results
Transparency in promotion, rewarding the right people

1777 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Good base pay, bonuses, ESPP, great dental

Cons

They don't like firewalls at all

he he

Ten years of content development. Hundreds of hours of uncompensated overtime. Let go based on salary not skill.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Content Developer in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Content Developer in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

For the first five years that I worked with Symantec, it was an amazing place to work. Employees were appreciated, recognized, and rewarded for strong work ethic, outstanding projects, and for taking initiative. Symantec continues to be a leader in community involvement , strives to be good stewards of the environment, and encourages employees to volunteer and be involved in their local communities. This makes Symantec globally known and respected. I was extremely proud to wear Symantec black and gold an bear the logo in public. The company name remains strong and globally recognized. No matter where I was in the World, I was respected by my peers and even sought after for presenting or providing professional advice. I was easily recognized by the Symantec colors (Black and Gold) and logo which I wore proudly.

Cons

Symantec varies widely from department to department. While some departments have extravagant budgets, want for nothing, and have substantial job security. Other employees work quarter to quarter wondering if they will have a job in another 90 days. They have to beg for the hardware and software resources needed to do their jobs but are rarely successful in acquiring the required tools because the costs always seem to be "outside" the department budget. Inadequate equipment, outdated software, and no budget for training on new tools leaves many who work at Symantec struggling to meet ridiculous product release deadlines and delivery dates. Mantra within the team is "Figure it out, do it yourself if you have to, just get it done on-time." Burnout cases range from 90 day medical leaves of absence to those who suffer a heart attack or stroke. Some employes regularly work hundreds of extra hours of overtime a month which go unrecognized and unappreciated even though all of the employees are required to submit detailed time reports on all of their projects quarterly, for review by upper level management. Symantec has lost personal contact with it's employees and no longer sees employees as people who are responsible for the success of the company...they are now simply employee numbers and salary figures on a spreadsheet that can be cut as needed to make overspending in other areas balance out.. If you are looking for a long term career ...look elsewhere. If you want to hop jobs for a few years gaining experience and you don't fear living with the uncertainty of whether you will still have a job next quarter Symantec might be just what you are looking for.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec