Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Good base pay, bonuses, ESPP, great dental

Cons

They don't like firewalls at all

Advice to Management

he he

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Ten years of content development. Hundreds of hours of uncompensated overtime. Let go based on salary not skill.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Content Developer in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Content Developer in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

For the first five years that I worked with Symantec, it was an amazing place to work. Employees were appreciated, recognized, and rewarded for strong work ethic, outstanding projects, and for taking initiative. Symantec continues to be a leader in community involvement , strives to be good stewards of the environment, and encourages employees to volunteer and be involved in their local communities. This makes Symantec globally known and respected. I was extremely proud to wear Symantec black and gold an bear the logo in public. The company name remains strong and globally recognized. No matter where I was in the World, I was respected by my peers and even sought after for presenting or providing professional advice. I was easily recognized by the Symantec colors (Black and Gold) and logo which I wore proudly.

Cons

Symantec varies widely from department to department. While some departments have extravagant budgets, want for nothing, and have substantial job security. Other employees work quarter to quarter wondering if they will have a job in another 90 days. They have to beg for the hardware and software resources needed to do their jobs but are rarely successful in acquiring the required tools because the costs always seem to be "outside" the department budget. Inadequate equipment, outdated software, and no budget for training on new tools leaves many who work at Symantec struggling to meet ridiculous product release deadlines and delivery dates. Mantra within the team is "Figure it out, do it yourself if you have to, just get it done on-time." Burnout cases range from 90 day medical leaves of absence to those who suffer a heart attack or stroke. Some employes regularly work hundreds of extra hours of overtime a month which go unrecognized and unappreciated even though all of the employees are required to submit detailed time reports on all of their projects quarterly, for review by upper level management. Symantec has lost personal contact with it's employees and no longer sees employees as people who are responsible for the success of the company...they are now simply employee numbers and salary figures on a spreadsheet that can be cut as needed to make overspending in other areas balance out.. If you are looking for a long term career ...look elsewhere. If you want to hop jobs for a few years gaining experience and you don't fear living with the uncertainty of whether you will still have a job next quarter Symantec might be just what you are looking for.

Long term employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Good team work environment. Company feeds employees for working long hours... Ok awards but could be better...

Cons

Over worked developers and stressed during near end of projects. Most positions get no bonuses

Advice to Management

Provide better incentives, pensions, and awards