There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Join Symantec

Current Employee - Product Manager
Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Symantec people are absolutely fantastic - friendly, energetic and driven. They are very encouraging and supportive and provide their employees opportunities to succeed and learn. Great environment.

Cons

Sometimes I feel its toooo big .. I just hope we dont have any more buying.

Please don't buy any more companies

1681 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

5 years ago? Best. Employer. Ever. Today? It's work, and not much more.

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager  in  Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Symantec, Symantec..

The answer to this question would differ greatly if you asked me 5 years ago.

5 years ago:

GREAT employee benefits (corporate culture felt innovative, great stock purchase plan, strength of Norton brand promotes pride to work for the company AS WELL AS incredible stock returns, company-funded events, fair quarterly bonus for all employees, GREAT cafeteria, free soda--hey, it's the little things)

Today:

This is a tough one. Symantec is now a software giant, and acts like one. Norton brand is returning to form after 3-5 years of not-the-best-in-the-world product quality, etc. Veritas acquisition expanded product line, and give us an intriguing position in the enterprise software space.

Sales organizations receives heavy focus, and the way we bundle/standardize is compelling, so I would expect that job to be very rewarding.

Cons

Same model as above:

5 years ago:

Downsides? Very few. Corporate culture was incredibly strong and it felt like we were doing great work as a team.

Today:

Corporate culture is scorched--totally non-existent. There is no sense of team or direction in any of the several positions I've held in the last several years (there may be pockets of this still kicking around, though).

One common theme I see is that management (even at the Director level) is very tactically-focused, and often gets involved in every-day happenings. Ignoring whether this is a good influence on the individual tasks (hint: it's not), I have yet to work for a Director or VP who has time (or ability?) to:

a) Give me career guidance
    b) Give my strategic guidance (where does my team need to be in 2-3 years?)

Worst of all: there is no incentive for doing a good job. Bonus program has been completely cut for non-management employees (replaced with ridiculous "credit" to some retailers), stock has been stagnant for years, and--as above--nobody has time to help you develop professionally.

All perks mentioned above have basically disappeared in the last 5 years.

Return employee incentives! The management team doesn't seem to have any time to educate or foster good employees, so why reward managers and not their employees? Either give your management team time to manage their people, or return incentives for their employees.

Veritas corporate culture did not mesh well with Symantec corporate culture. This still resonates, as ex-Veritas employees are still very clannish. The result: all sense of corporate culture is gone.

Hey, it's a job.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

pay is decent
    some interesting technologies being developed there

Cons

middle management is fearful and reactionary - little chance to fulfill a real vision
    middle managers don't always surround themselves with people that actually understand the technologies
    travel and hardware budgeting are poorly managed and secretive
    once you reach a certain point all positions are gated and based on political alliances rather than technical prowess.

Examine middle management carefully. Learn about the people they are surrounding themselves with.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Worked for Symantec? Contribute to the Community!