There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

A great place to learn corporate survival strategies

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Springfield, OR
Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are awesome, some of the most talented and friendly people I have worked with.
The pay is above average for my region.
Free Training!

Cons

Layoffs are regular and happen every time some executive leaves or is hired. In fact every time we see a "Welcome Soandso" email everyone groans and updates their resume. This leads to a constant ill feeling in your belly that never quite goes away. This is good training for modern corp life though, as this is the new normal.
Too many executives and upper management for the company to do anything quickly, and in the tech industry that is not great.
Benefits are decreasing rapidly, almost monthly since the acquisition of Verisign. The impact on morale is absurdly obvious, but management has chosen the "Ostrich method" of dealing with it. When I was a "noobie" I came in with a very positive attitude which was quickly laughed at by senior, jaded technicians. I soon understood why.
If you are a front-line technician your performance is evaluated by metrics. The problem is there is no variation in expectation if you work in a slower product or work weekends. Even though you get fewer calls you are expected to pull the same numbers as those that work busier products or days. If you are unlucky enough to work weekends do not expect raises and you will likely be on a "Performance Plan".
"Profit center" employees(Sales, Marketing, etc) are paid and treated much better than "Cost Center" employees(Support, facilities, etc). We can see this every day, and most pointedly on Fridays.

Advice to Management

Look at your processes and your retention. Find another way to increase profits other than laying off employees for short term gains, eventually you will need to fill their positions and pay for the training and learning curve of a new employee.

reviews filtered by
  1. Room for career advancement

Current Employee - Principal Service Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Service Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Applause awards
    Many opportunities to advance career
    Global company
    Ability to work remote

Cons

Too many acquired companies trying to assimilate to one
    Sr mgmt out of touch with core issues

Advice to Management

Listen to your top performers about their concerns and devise a strategy to assist them before they leave from burnout

2. Professional

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mountain view has an excellent campus with many facilities. We have high quality technical people, good and aggressive management.

Cons

many layoffs in the company at short interval.

Advice to Management

Keep development and product mgmt together