Symantec

Sorry, wouldn't recommend working for this fortune 500 company

Current Employee - Technical Account Manager
Current Employee - Technical Account Manager

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

The company has a lot of benefits, but the company failed to help employees use them. The company purchasing and commuter plan is great. The at&t discount is also good. It's great that we get free Norton PC products to use at home. I'm sorry I really don't have much good things to say.

Cons

H.R. is in India, Takes forever to get a response from H.R. , Payroll and etc. I.T. is also outsourced to India. Horrible. No Sick days - use your vacation days "PTO Days". It seems that any time you have an Issue you have to contact the benefits provider. Oh you didn't get your benefits card, well you need to call Aetna and they should take care of that for you. Oh you didn't get your dental card call your provider. Your local site will most likely not have a Support staff. No paid lunch

Bring support functions back to the U.S., we are a US company! Does sprint nextel ring a bell.

1866 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Symantec review.

Former Employee - Principal Technical Support Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Principal Technical Support Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Symantec

Pros

I think that it is a place where you can work and be rewarded but it does require a lot of perseverance and patience as positions and promotions don't happen overnight.

Cons

Symantec is a large company and so the ability to stick out from the crowd and be noticed is very difficult. Additionally management doesn't always pick the correct person for the job.

Take a hard look at why you are doing and/or changing things and truly make changes for the good of the employees and the customers. I think too many decisions are based upon knee jerk reactions without any thought of what this may affect or how this could impact lives of the employees.

Keepin It Real

Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Support Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Some of the health benefits offered have been claimed by dr.s themselves as "the best they have seen in their office." Management is extremely flexible with the employee. THey also have a gym at this location that is decent enough to get a healthy workout. The food court has an excellent Tikka Masala.

Cons

Merit raises have been halted. Could be due to economy. I don't think they are directly competitive with the market in terms of salary.

If you notice issues with employees that are evident to the whole team, YOU and only you have the ability to make a difference and see that the employee takes steps steps toward improving performance. It is up to YOU to speak to the employee and lay out a plan of improvement and deadlines for results. Please take this part of your job seriously. Thank you.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec