Symantec

www.symantec.com
  www.symantec.com
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Awesome workplace for career growth

Former Employee - QA Engineer
Former Employee - QA Engineer

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great job security, good working environment.

Cons

Less than market salary, no bonuses for bottom level employees

1777 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Depends Which Silo You Work In

Current Employee - Senior Director, Marketing in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director, Marketing in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time

Pros

- Sporadic exposure to talented individuals
    - Well known brand that has recurring revenue & established customers
    - Good WLB typical with larger companies

Cons

- Poor management, mediocre leadership and silo-ed thinking helps Symantec enjoy a malaise for years
    - Simply hard for a Symantec to compete with more innovative, focused companies that are killing it in mobile & cloud
    - Baggage of Symantec and Norton brand do not bode well for new products and more modern customers
    - Managing teams to high performance is not encouraged due to Symantec's fear of litigation
    - Too much dependence of FUD (Fear uncertainly and doubt) in their marketing

Current re-org is energizing employees and provides hope for the future! But remember, the strategy and re-focus is the easier part - the proof will be in the execution

Okay Except Directors

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Heathrow, FL

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The actual work can be either simple and mundane or challenging due to the difficulty of figuring out how to fit something into the existing architecture or limited time before the "current" deadline.
       Salaries appear to be good to slighly above average.
       People tend to stick with the company for long periods (relatively "new" employees have been at the company 5-10 years, with many in the 15+ years).
       The new CEO (a lot better than the last one) appears to be trying to shake the company out of "this is how we've been doing it so we should keep doing it that way" into something more of "this is what we should be doing".

Cons

The past several years in particular, they would lay off independent contributors to meet some bean-counting salary target. It is nice in that it tended to end up with the better end of employees sticking with the company (though sometimes it seemed to be about who you knew). The problem is that they did not get rid of any directors or managers, and then they would hire or promote additional people until we have too many directors managers and not enough people actually doing the work.
       The longevity of current employees with most turnover being in the more recently hired areas seems to make it difficult for someone to get promoted.
       The CEO looked at how we have been doing things to see where problems arise, and has even given directions about how we should be doing things. The individual contributors who are actaully trying to do the work also give feedback as to what is not working, why it is not working, and what we should be doing instead. The directors, however, seem to be ignoring this and doing what they want to do. Several directors do this to the point of acting very unprofessionally and treat employees like children who do not deserve any respect
       The new CEO is also forcing a complete re-org from the top down which may help get rid of some of the management deadweight, though I think they should ditch all of the directors and start over with some new people.

Replace the entire level of directors and everyone on the "Product Team" that has been here > 2 years. They don't appear to have any concept of how their jobs should be done let alone how to lead others towards getting the work done. They are trying to force a new process (poorly) to "improve quality and reduce schedule" which the individual contributors who actually have to deal with it every day to spend several days a month (sometimes an entire week at a stretch for particularly bad problems) where we cannot do work. When the block is removed, a flurry of changes causes even more problems and conflicts which reduces quality and increases the time required.
       When a release is still months away, they are imposing artifical milestones along the way where all things of X type have to be complete. If something will take longer, you have to come up with an alternative "hack" that will cause other problems later or not solve it correctly just so that they can claim that all of X type are done. You want to go back afterwards and fix it? Sorry, we don't have enough time in the schedule so it will have to be the next major product release instead.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec