There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Strong culture needs new product strategy

Current Employee - Product Marketing
Current Employee - Product Marketing

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Smart, gregarious employees who respect each other. Market leading products. New CEO kicked off reorg for all management. Financial engineering has increased stock price.

Cons

New CEO has no industry subject matter expertise. Direction of change to product portfolio is modest with no immediate changes to a portfolio that has caused company to lose market share for years. Lacks systems to scale business.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Symantec is still a good place to work, but the golden years are in the review now.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great, hardworking and loyal employees. Decent perks and benefits. Nice campus, though work environments in Culver City are getting cramped due to the amount of staff these days. Flexible start time, and most employees have at least some flexibility to work in remote or a semi-remote capacity when needed. It's a fun place to work. I started off in QA over a decade ago and worked my way up to senior management in development. If you put in the effort, and do the networking, you can advance up the ranks.

Like anywhere, your satisfaction is going to depend on the manager you get saddled with. I've been exceptionally lucky of the years and can only think of one truly bad manager I've had at Symantec. Sure, some were better than others, but I can truly say that I believe most did have my best interest at heart. I've modeled my own management style from some of the managers I've looked up to over the years and hopefully my employees see me paying it forward to them as well. All and all, this is a great group of people.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be atrocious at times. Development has moved to a complete round the clock effort over the past few years and more work is being done 7PM PST and after these days. It is not uncommon to have engineers needing support midnight and later regularly. A lot of this is due to the China and India development teams and a true round the clock work force. This sometimes leaves the stakeholders on the west coast with blood shoot eyes in the morning.

Team size used to be adequate, but is becoming a real problem now. More and more development is happening and the same team that handled a single project three years ago now may be supporting four today. It's becoming a serious issue of people being stretched to their limits.

We also never had a retention problem before. People stayed at Symantec forever. I'm a prime example of that with over fourteen years at the company. Today, however, we're losing top engineers and management to competitors and other top employers. The good news, the SYMC name looks great on a resume. The bad news, we're losing our top talent due to poor planning, over stressed schedules and non-competitive pay.

The pay is below industry, but once you start factoring in some of the perks things even out. You may see 10-15% less in your paycheck, but for management and senior development staff, the yearly bonus can help narrow that gap. Also, stock is touch and go. Years ago the company was much more generous with stock options and grants even for junior team members. As an entry level QA person I received very generous stock grants yearly. Fast forward to today and there really isn't much to excite during your annual review. Pay raises have been averaging 2% or less for years, and in a high cost area like Los Angeles, people start to look for other opportunities.

Contrary to what you might think, people you meet at conventions or on the street don't have a clue of who Symantec is. I normally have to tell them I work on the Norton products, and then you have the dance of whether this is someone who actually likes the Norton products. The software has a serious image problem. Most people who consider themselves technical or computer savvy despise Symantec products, even if they haven't touched one in a decade-plus. Symantec really needs to work on cleaning up this image problem... Though I admit I don't have an easy solution or suggestion of how to do that. The kindest criticism I've received of our products is, "Necessary evil." Though I wouldn't rush to change our corporate logo to it quite yet...

Advice to Management

Symantec 4.0 really needs to energize this company. Make it exciting again. Help us bring in top talent and retain the amazing people we already have. Team sizes need to grow in the highly stressed and taxed areas. Most importantly, think of those old guidance counselor chats: Where is SYMC going to be in ten years? It doesn't really feel like there's a solid plan today, so if there is one communicate it out so we can start making it happen.

2. SQA Analyst

I worked at Symantec full-time

Pros

Best work environment and management

Cons

Not much of challenging work