Great hours, great job

Former Intern - Junior Analysis Assistant in Heathrow, FL
Former Intern - Junior Analysis Assistant in Heathrow, FL

I worked at Symantec as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

My hours were from when I got out of school until around 5-6. They taught me everything I needed to know and gave me all the material to learn from. Aside from that, you only needed some experience with the Microsoft Office suite

Cons

My boss was the worst part. Learn to get on their good side, fast.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Changes Are Making a Difference

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Open, kind, helpful and hard working culture. There is a ton of great talent working at Symantec, you can learn a lot have have a great opportunity to progress within the company.

Cons

Endless layers of management. Lack of consistent goals setting and importance to meeting deadlines.

Advice to Management

Symantec needs to eat more of their own cooking. It's embarrassing how few of our own products we use.

Two Ferrets in a Pillowcase

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great peers, excellent benefits, brand recognition on your CV.

I made some great contacts within the industry at Symantec, and the campus is very nice. At the headquarters, the cafe is very nice, the onsite gym has what most people need, and they support EV charging at the main parking structure.

The entire campus is tobacco free, which is nice for nonsmokers, but banishes the smokers to the sidewalks, even in the rain.

Cons

Politics, Management ignorance, and leadership failures across the board, "Take initiative" is verbally encouraged and punished if not successful.

Internal processes are disorganized, and politics wins the day when it comes to budgetary approvals. Information flows are weak, and management training is very poor.

Outsourcing has resulted in the usual problems: meetings at odd hours, unintelligible accents on the phone, and blamestorming when something goes wrong.

Advice to Management

Integrate the businesses. This is an amalgamation of businesses, when it should be an enterprise. Stop outsourcing so much: without a stake in the game, there is no ownership, and the profit motivation for making mistakes is astounding: They get paid for making the mistake; for covering up the mistake; for arguing about the mistake; and, finally, for correcting the very same mistake.