There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

My Symantec: The world is a safer place because of my employer.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Opportunity to be part of an innovative company. Part of one of the largest technology companies in the world. Symantec embraces a flat organizational chart that allows for easier access to senior officers. Symatec senior management has regular meetings to discuss the health of the company and how each employee is important to the overall success of the company. Open door policies.

Cons

There are really not many downsides of working at Symantec. I would think that since Symantec is doing well that other companies may want the opportunity to acquire Symantec in a multi-billion dollar deal that would leave some of the employees to deal with yet another merger. But, the downsides are only a sign of better times on the horizon.

Advice to Management

That we strive to provide more open doors in Latin America and the Carribean. With my roots in the latino culture, I have a genuine hunger for seeing Latin America excel in all aspects of life. I believe that Symantec can be part of satiating the hunger that I share with millions of Latino professionals.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. One of the better large companies I have worked for.

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Symantec has a lot of cool products, many of which are well known. It's kind of nice for a change for people to recognize the company when I tell them who I work for. The division I am in and the products I work on are growing, so there feels like there is some job security (although you never know - we have had some layoffs here and there for no reason that was adequately explained). There are reasonably long-term plans in place for where we are going with our products, which is somewhat refreshing. My job doesn't require killer hours, I get to work on some cool stuff, and the pay and benefits are decent. I like it here. Compared to the other companies of this size that I have worked for, Symantec is one of the better ones.

Cons

Innovation seems to be largely through acquisition. We have had trouble integrating and taking full advantage of the technology we acquire. Like any large company, there is a fair amount of process, which can be annoying at times. Unfortunately, as a public company, we are *way* too driven by next quarter's numbers.

Advice to Management

It's important to remember there are people whose lives are effected by decisions geared to slightly improving the next quarter's numbers. Try to take a longer term view.

2. Symantec: it ain't Google

Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Symantec

Pros

If security interests you, there is no better place to be than Symantec. There are world-class experts available, as well as lots of interesting work. The engineers inside are seriously top-notch people who are passionate about security. This is also a good place if you're interested in researching security topics.

Cons

The stock has been flat for a long time, and there are no bonuses to speak of (they rolled them up into your salary, or so they claim). Basically, it's a decent salary, but don't expect any extra. There is no real company culture to speak of, and the semi-annual celebrations are stereotypically boring, corporate events.

Advice to Management

Take more risk: stop playing it so safe. Morale is important, and more time should be spent on cultivating a real company culture. Bring back bonuses - it gives people something to look forward to.