There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

My Symantec: The world is a safer place because of my employer.

Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Technical Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Opportunity to be part of an innovative company. Part of one of the largest technology companies in the world. Symantec embraces a flat organizational chart that allows for easier access to senior officers. Symatec senior management has regular meetings to discuss the health of the company and how each employee is important to the overall success of the company.

Open door policies.

Cons

There are really not many downsides of working at Symantec. I would think that since Symantec is doing well that other companies may want the opportunity to acquire Symantec in a multi-billion dollar deal that would leave some of the employees to deal with yet another merger. But, the downsides are only a sign of better times on the horizon.

That we strive to provide more open doors in Latin America and the Carribean. With my roots in the latino culture, I have a genuine hunger for seeing Latin America excel in all aspects of life. I believe that Symantec can be part of satiating the hunger that I share with millions of Latino professionals.

reviews filtered by

Symantec: it used to be a really great place to work

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Still a lot of interesting work here if you are lucky enough to be involved with it.
    Generally good pay and benefits. Pay is composed of salary, stock options/units, and typically a bonus that is weighted on personal and company performance. Of course that all depends on what area of the business you are involved in.
    Used to be that every engineer got an office. I'm not sure how typical that is across the entire company any more. Still some really smart and interesting people around at least a few haven't left yet.
    Education reimbursement policy is pretty decent.
    Flexible telecommuting policy.
    Good severance packages.

Cons

Boneheaded management at times.
    Perennial short sightedness of decisions as they relate to employees.
    Down right depressing work environment (low morale, no energy).
    Arrogant CEO who just doesn't get how to motivate and energize employees that are interested in more than just money.
    Overall, your experience can really all depend on who you work for and the people directly above you. Experiences can vary greatly, but overall most are very dissatisfied with the upper echelons of management.
    You will perpetually hear complaints from everyone who knows where you work about Norton products whether you work on them or not.
    Stock has done nothing in years.
    They seem to think that moving all work to India and China will solve their problems. However, they are alienating a lot of their existing talent that they should really be interested in keeping on board.
    High turnover rates in the last couple years and several reductions in force.

Treat your people better and really work on creating a more dynamic, connected, and collaborative corporate culture.

2. average

Current Employee - Senior Principal Applications Analyst in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Applications Analyst in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

good work culture, fun loving people

Cons

too many managers.simple implementations are also hard to implement due to policies and the policies are fundamentally wrong

techincal team has less role in feasibility phase.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec