Solid Career Growth and fast pace learning environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Great Career Growth Quick learning environment Great Benefits

Cons

Pay not inline with competition

Advice to Management

Some individuals are not aware of the efforts put forth on the feedback they provide, the team does focus on this area but often we fail expose this effort

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great environment for growth and development.

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

There is a strong movement within the company to support employees in their career path. Thusfar, of all of the places I've worked, Symantec offers the best compensation, benefits and career development path. My background includes more than 15 years in the technology industry with both start ups and Fortune 500 companies. Worklife balance is encourged. The company also encourages and rewards people for achieving results by exemplifying the company's stated values--Innovation, Action, Customer Driven and Trust. Overall, I am very content here and hope to continue in my career with the company.

Cons

- It's a big company so some of the bureaucracy that comes with that stature can impede progress. - The company has grown by acquistion and not all people who've stayed on embrace the values and the vision of the broader organization. - Within some groups gossip and politics can halt productivity. - Due to the bad economy, there are individuals who don't want to be with the company and undermine the company's goals and objectives.

Advice to Management

- Continue to weed out individuals who don't support or embrace our stated objectives. - Foster a mentality of "if you want to be here, then be part of the team." - Encourage discipline and rigor in our efforts to achieve our goals.

Top Down Mgmt Driven

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Good salary compensation, expense account, and interesting projects. Benefits are solid, but medical is lacking.

Cons

Very bureaucratic. Communication is top down from executives, and you're lucky if you receive it. The environment is very politically driven and people take more of a CYA approach (cover your ###). If you're not at the HQ or in Mt. View/SFO it will be difficult to get recognized and drive project initiatives.

Advice to Management

Take the time to develop a feedback loop with your auxiliary locations rather than just mandating and pushing policy down on folks.