There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

Safe and sound job......

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Job security, decent benefits, good work life balance. Learning opportunities depend on the group.

Cons

learning and growth opportunities. Management and process overhead.

reviews filtered by
  1. Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lindon, UT

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced, exciting working environment. Lots of challenging and fulfilling assignments. Excellent leadership, excellent direction.

Cons

Symantec as a whole was a great company to work for. However Symantec seems to be heavy into acquisitions, including buying competing technologies instilling internal competition and power struggles.

Enterprise Sales - SYMC "4.0" thinks this is shrink-wrapped software sales...

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent products
    Unlimited comp plan
    Depending on the team, the other reps around you are genuinely helpful.
    Brand equity is still valuable on your resume.

Cons

As an AE, you spend a ton of time doing post-sales customer hand-holding because support is so overworked.

Very political. If you aren't juiced in, you aren't going anywhere. This applies not only to
    promotion opportunities, but your quota as well.

Not a sales-led culture.

Senior management seems to hate having a sales force. There are a ton of Intuit people running around and they all seem to think that high scale enterprise class software can be sold via an eCommerce strategy.

They hacked a ton of roles out and are now leaning harder on sales and support staff. I am today doing what 1.5 people historically did.

While comp is in theory unlimited, the chances to overachieve are difficult.

Seriously, enough with the "wing-to-wing", "End-to-end", "mindset", and so on. I'm not looking to join a cult and I'm not some 23 year old kid fresh out of school looking for an identity. I'm a professional. Please respect that. Build products that work, support them, and realize that no customer is planning on dropping 7 figures on enterprise software with webinars and talking to some desk jockey on a headset in Springfield.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec