Symantec

www.symantec.com
  www.symantec.com
There are newer employer reviews for Symantec

OK company to work for with good work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Symantec full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Open environment,not much pressure,Lot of events to connect with the leadership,lot of company wide events

Cons

Bureacracy,Bad pay package,no free food,No persistence to ideas,No sync in different team

Should take care of employee needs

1748 Other Employee Reviews for Symantec (View Most Recent)

Great place to be

Current Employee - Project Specialist (HR) in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Project Specialist (HR) in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

fair hours, great pay, very friendly people.

Cons

difficult to get your foot in the door, as a temp it feels I am having a hard time becoming permanent

be more hands on in help towards temps in to a permanent position

Nearly 9 years to watch the pendulum swing back to bad

I worked at Symantec full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of truly great people when I was working there. Great benefits and a great work environment. I've had several great managers and leaders in my time. Some true visionaries and truly brilliant people.

Cons

Sadly, a lot has happened that has destroyed the culture of Symantec. The focus on the future ignore a lot of the realities of the modern, mobile world. Especially when it comes to your targets and growth/expansion. Too many directors and VPs that remain are taking away decisions from those under them without any direct knowledge of the market or the target customers.

Unfortunately through the reorg you've gotten rid of a lot of expertise, vision, and leadership. My first advice is to do what you actually said. Find the under served or needed jobs and solve for them. You must act quickly or you will become irrelevant. You're starting to creat a culture that will move even slower then Symantec was at its low point. Also, stop allowing the creation of fiefdoms. Even though the nature of 4.0 is supposed to be more cooperation, you are creating a culture of less cooperation. An "everyone is in it for themselves" type culture where the strongest director (personality wise) wins, even at the expense of the most qualified team or individual. You won't win if you constantly lose the most talented people in your org.

There are newer employer reviews for Symantec