Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Great atmosphere and very smart people

Cons

More training would be beneficial

Advice to Management

None, things are great

reviews filtered by

I've never worked somewhere that made me feel ashamed to do well at my job before...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, OR

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

Direct managers are hard working, responsible, people who genuinely care for their employees and try to fight for the resources and training they need.

Cons

Everybody more than 2 steps up the ladder from individual contributor is completely out of touch with reality.

It seems like it's impossible for senior management to pick a direction on anything - they're constantly rolling out huge, sweeping initiatives, then rolling them back in order to roll out the next big thing - In other words, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Rewards and compensation are handed out so unevenly, I'm afraid to let my co-workers know when I've been rewarded for a good job.

Most people haven't gotten raises in 2 years:
     - Nobody except for sales got raises last year. I got a "promotion" which came with a 5% salary increase despite the fact that the pay grade is 20% higher than the previous pay grade - I didn't tell anybody I work with for fear of retribution.
     - This year, they budgeted for a 1% overall salary increase - most people got nothing, while a few "top performers" got a modest raise - I'm terrified of my co-workers finding out I'm one of those "top performers"...

All bonuses for non-sales and management staff have been eliminated and replaced with an "applause" system where you nominate fellow employees for doing a great job - the budget for this is minuscule and most managers reject any awards larger than $25 out of hand. Everybody used to get a 5% quarterly bonus at a minimum.

Our outsourced IT (HP) is completely incompetent. It can take weeks to get your production machine fixed if your hard drive dies, days to get a password reset or account problems ironed out... God forbid you need to get any sort of resources to do your job. I work with a ton of really talented Indian engineers, both in the US and in India, so I have no problem with dealing with Indian IT consultants... But when they barely speak English and are so detached from your issue that they don't even bother to respond to your inquiries to requests for things like "I haven't been able to check my email for 4 days now"... It's a pretty big deal.

The IT infrastructure is so fragile that the tools I need to do my job can barely be counted upon to be functioning. Constant outages or problems are a way of life. For an information security company, you'd think we'd have solid network security, and a pretty decent infrastructure, but that is by no means the case...

I simply don't have access to the tools I need to do my job. If I need something, I pretty much have to hope I can borrow it from another team, buy it on my own, or find some way to emulate it.

Advice to Management

1. Invest in employees (salaries, awards, training, equipment)
    2. Stop focusing on small-picture tactics and implement a big-picture strategy, then stick with that strategy for more than a few months.
    3. If product quality is important - fire a few VPs and use their salaries to hire competent Product Managers, Developers and QA engineers..
    3a. Provide some sort of incentive for doing your job right instead of just vague threats of having your VP fired and replaced with yet another out-of-touch bureaucrat who makes decisions based on what customer he's playing golf with today (No joke, this happens ALL THE TIME)
    4. Actually listen to employees' suggestions and complaints
    5. STOP BUYING COMPANIES YOU HAVE NO INTENTION OF PROPERLY INTEGRATING
    6. Most of these steps cannot be accomplished with the current leadership.
    7. Getting rid of incompetent employees who hurt the company with their actions/inaction is just as important as keeping good employees who do a great job.

overall - not happy

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Symantec

Pros

very good benefits, average+ paid time off, flexible work hours, some of the managers are good, positions in core teams have better guarantied to last longer

Cons

way too much bureaucracy every body tries to become manager. lots of managers with no clue or close to that level. innovations are not always welcomed.

Advice to Management

shake off that bureaucracy. get rid of most of the managers, keep just the good ones. try minimize the internal office wars