Symbian

www.symbianfoundation.org

Enjoyable place to work, but management competency varies between teams, and not best for graduate salary.

Technical Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking atmosphere:
Friendly and relaxed atmosphere (no dress code) where people are hired for their talent and then trusted to do a good job.

Work/life balance:
Flexible working hours and 5 weeks' holiday plus opportunity to buy/sell 5 days' holiday make for a good work-life balance.

Senior management:
Senior management bring a clear direction and positive vision to the company and the company's success is well communicated to employees leading to us feeling proud of what we achieve.

People/fun:
The people are great and we regularly head down the pub for drinks after work because we all enjoy each other's company. There are also team days out and a sports and social club which organises company events.

Office environment:
There is an office redecoration program in place and Symbian doesn't underestimate the importance of a good working enviroment. Free tea, coffee and fruit!

Overall benefits:
Good stakeholder pension with company contribution, healthcare plan, free phone, season ticket loan, childcare vouchers, amongst others.

ConsJob security:
The main downside at the moment for employees is that we are about to be taken over by Nokia which naturally leads to fears about job security and uncertainty about what sort of work we will be doing in the future. Additionally, Motorola have just pulled out of making Symbian phones so we have recently lost a major client.

Compensation:
The pay for graduates is comparable to that on grad schemes in other industries but within the software industry it is lower than many. I am not confident that the compensation situation is likely to improve in the near future, unless I leave and rejoin which is supposed to be the best way of obtaining a pay rise at Symbian.

Feedback/career development:
I don't believe it is that easy for graduates to progress in their career at Symbian, other than developing a technical specialisation. A few will make it to e.g. tech lead, technical architect or project manager but I believe managers generally have a preconceived idea of who is naturally "the best fit" for such a job, rather than encouraging everyone with some relevant strengths and some weaknesses to develop to the level where they would be able to apply.

Few line managers I have come across have been very interested in providing career development advice or opportunities for their reports to develop the skills they need to progress (or even giving feedback on what they believe those skills are) - for instance, in my department, appraisals are frequently conducted late, or even not at all. Having spoken to people who used to work in my department but left, I know it's not just me who thinks this.

However, having said all that, I'd say my department is worse than most at taking career development seriously, and there are a mentoring scheme and plenty of formal training courses available, an internal job board to see what else is available, and the opportunity to do secondments (though those have dried up a bit at the moment what with the Nokia acquisition), so it's not all bad, but you need to be prepared to take responsibility for your own development.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency between teams (singing from the same hymn sheet):
I think that there are plenty of good improvement schemes happening within Symbian, but with the company growing at the rate it is, more needs to be done to ensure change initiatives are taken seriously across the whole company and rolled out in a consistent way - at the moment it seems to me there is plenty of variation between departments and line managers.

Communication/feedback:
While there are good channels for feedback from employees to senior management (employee satisfaction survey, sounding board) which is acted upon in a top-down way, I would also like to see more of a bottom-up feedback culture where employees can give feedback to and via managers.

Graduate pay is much too low and rises disrespecfully slowly.

Graduate Software Engineer (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

I have been working at Symbian

Pros: Symbian is a great company with very talented people. A Software Engineer can make a real impact on people's lives with over 200million devices out… Cons: Pay within Symbian is very substandard. Graduates salaries do not reflect the technical nature of the jobs they do, with graduates in certain "lesser" teams… Advice to Senior Management: Treat graduates with more respect in terms of salary and grades P1 to P2 should be considerably higher… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good Place to Work and Grow. Bad and Old Technology for Operating Systems.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

I worked at Symbian

Pros: There are some stupid managers BUT, if you are lucky enough, you can find some superb manager that will help you grow skill and career… Cons: There are only very few young managers: this made the company being stuck on their dominance position for too… Advice to Senior Management: Innovation should be, sometime, rewrite stuff from scratch: Symbian had ages to do that, but the company always preferred to focus on… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Symbian.

Worked for Symbian? Contribute to the Community!