There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

Great people, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Many of the company's "doers" care genuinely about the products/services they provide, and the company's customers. The benefits are good for the company's size. The flexibility to work from home or shift hours is nice, and shows focus on work-life balance.

Cons

The company's culture seems to be shifting to one that cares less about what the company is meant to provide, has less accountability, and makes employees afraid to speak up.

Don't forget how important collaboration across levels is. Be careful not to alienate our dedicated and knowledgeable workforce. Improvement requires change, but being open & collaborative with employees is more likely to keep them on board with changes than keeping them in the dark is.

Come to the floors where the doers do, and maybe get your hands dirty with us occasionally. It's hard to stand behind a management team you never see, that works on a floor much nicer than any of the rest of us do, and that we hear from mostly when being blindsided by changes. The best managers ask, listen, and offer perspective.

reviews filtered by

Not perfect, but good so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (less than a year)

Pros

* Great location - near restaurants and the transit center.
    * Competitive salary and good benefits package (including 401k match and generous stock purchase plan).
    * Good worklife balance.
    * Unlike many other companies in the area and/or in the same industry (including the company I left earlier this year), Symetra is in very good financial shape and is actually poised for growth.

Cons

* Change management - I'm ok with change, but feel that communication with employees could be better. I do believe that the company is moving in the right direction though.
    * Like with most companies, employee experience/morale probably varies a lot by department. I can only speak for my own experience, which has been positive.
    * Parking is expensive.

Senior management should work harder to communicate with and be visible to their employees.

2. Symetra Investment services

Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Phoenix, MD
    Former Employee - Investment Advisor in Phoenix, MD

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They have good products and high papyouts

Cons

Their suport system is not that good

They need a better overall support system for their reps

There are newer employer reviews for Symetra