There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

Great people, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Many of the company's "doers" care genuinely about the products/services they provide, and the company's customers. The benefits are good for the company's size. The flexibility to work from home or shift hours is nice, and shows focus on work-life balance.

Cons

The company's culture seems to be shifting to one that cares less about what the company is meant to provide, has less accountability, and makes employees afraid to speak up.

Advice to Management

Don't forget how important collaboration across levels is. Be careful not to alienate our dedicated and knowledgeable workforce. Improvement requires change, but being open & collaborative with employees is more likely to keep them on board with changes than keeping them in the dark is.

Come to the floors where the doers do, and maybe get your hands dirty with us occasionally. It's hard to stand behind a management team you never see, that works on a floor much nicer than any of the rest of us do, and that we hear from mostly when being blindsided by changes. The best managers ask, listen, and offer perspective.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Not perfect, but good so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* Great location - near restaurants and the transit center.
    * Competitive salary and good benefits package (including 401k match and generous stock purchase plan).
    * Good worklife balance.
    * Unlike many other companies in the area and/or in the same industry (including the company I left earlier this year), Symetra is in very good financial shape and is actually poised for growth.

Cons

* Change management - I'm ok with change, but feel that communication with employees could be better. I do believe that the company is moving in the right direction though.
    * Like with most companies, employee experience/morale probably varies a lot by department. I can only speak for my own experience, which has been positive.
    * Parking is expensive.

Advice to Management

Senior management should work harder to communicate with and be visible to their employees.

Execs are spending and spinning out of control

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees with some longevity are genuinely nice and would like to partner with others to build a sutstainable, successful company.

Cons

Execs are 97% white men who all worked together elsewhere before coming to Symetra. They don't have great reputations in the industry, so that puts a cloud over Symetra. (There is a buzz throughout the industry, but they are too arrogant to listen or to care.)
    They pay each other very well and do a LOT of wining and dining each other at sporting events.
    The managers are not leaders; they were handed the positions by their friends, so they have no idea what it means to empower employees or foster a positive work environment.
    New employees actually make comments that they were hired because they are "smarter and better". In reality, they are arrogant and rude, and don't have a clue about this business.
    HR violations take place on a daily basis, but nobody cares. Leaders yell and curse at employees on a daily basis as well. Everyone knows not to even talk to HR because management is called within seconds of an employee reporting a complaint. Retaliations runs rampant. That is the undercurrent of the new culture at Symetra.
    Fear and intimidation define the culture. It's sad.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors needs to be reminded that Symetra is a publicly traded company. Please get rid of the executives who sit in their ivory tower on the 14th floor (in their newly-constructed offices) and spend millions on themselves (high salaries, ridiculous expense accounts, perks) without actually doing any work to bring sales in the door and replace them with true leaders who will focus on the value of their employees. Happy employees will do great things for an employer they can trust.