There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

RUN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOSE YOUR SANITY!!!!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good location, restaurants and across from bus station

Cons

Middle management placing a horrific workload and unattainable % for processing. Even they would not be able to meet it but to look good to the "higher ups" they ate up and spit out the few loyal people.... Even temps ended up going on leave (and getting paid) due to the stress of the depts. If you went to HR (who was to mediate) you knew you took a risk and you walked out knowing you were in trouble. What was said in HR did not stay in HR they discussed it even in
elevators! Once mid management heard there was a complaint they created "does not meet standards" and made it a hostile workplace..... This is just the beginning. Also Symetra apparently isn't aware their reputation on the "street" is negative ............ Oh I forgot this is a perfect place for promotion if you're a 'YES MAN'!!!!!!! One final .... they don't care they are understaffed they are more than happy to devour you ...

Tom when you came in to "take over" and found a place on Lake Washington to live .... Symetra employees can barely make rent. You really should look around and see what your middle management is doing to the employees .... shame on you ....... how about you with your other wonderful board members come on down and see how condescending some of your UM's and other management is to staff!!! They actually create a hostile work environment and spit out employees ....... just sayin' take time from one of your jogs and get on down to what you have created..... it's not pretty .......

115 Other Employee Reviews for Symetra (View Most Recent)

Great people, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Many of the company's "doers" care genuinely about the products/services they provide, and the company's customers. The benefits are good for the company's size. The flexibility to work from home or shift hours is nice, and shows focus on work-life balance.

Cons

The company's culture seems to be shifting to one that cares less about what the company is meant to provide, has less accountability, and makes employees afraid to speak up.

Don't forget how important collaboration across levels is. Be careful not to alienate our dedicated and knowledgeable workforce. Improvement requires change, but being open & collaborative with employees is more likely to keep them on board with changes than keeping them in the dark is.

Come to the floors where the doers do, and maybe get your hands dirty with us occasionally. It's hard to stand behind a management team you never see, that works on a floor much nicer than any of the rest of us do, and that we hear from mostly when being blindsided by changes. The best managers ask, listen, and offer perspective.

Not perfect, but good so far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time for less than a year

Pros

* Great location - near restaurants and the transit center.
    * Competitive salary and good benefits package (including 401k match and generous stock purchase plan).
    * Good worklife balance.
    * Unlike many other companies in the area and/or in the same industry (including the company I left earlier this year), Symetra is in very good financial shape and is actually poised for growth.

Cons

* Change management - I'm ok with change, but feel that communication with employees could be better. I do believe that the company is moving in the right direction though.
    * Like with most companies, employee experience/morale probably varies a lot by department. I can only speak for my own experience, which has been positive.
    * Parking is expensive.

Senior management should work harder to communicate with and be visible to their employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!