Symetra

www.symetra.com

Love the job and the people!

Current Employee - Shared Services  in  Bellevue, WA
Current Employee - Shared Services in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Smart, hardworking, involved employees (who don't take themselves too seriously)!

My experience with management and senior management has been very positive - strive to be transparent and encourge employees to speak up.

There is VERY good work-life balance at Symetra.

Career mobility is supported and encouraged - discovered that 30% of all posted jobs are filled internally.

Cons

In comparison with other employers in the area, paid time off is not competetive.

In order to be an employer of choice, continue to make strides in the overall benefits array and paid time off.

Continue to encourage employee feedback in all areas - from products and pricing to benefits and company culture.

Other reviews for Symetra

After 14 years - my loyalty didn't pay off.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Flexible work schedule, supportive co-workers and fairly good benefits.

Cons

Lack of communication, lack of knowledge amongst upper management, very political, hostile work environment is fostered and no action is taken by HR when situations are brought to their attention, projects and products are developed for months on end only to be stopped after thousands of dollars are spent, because not enough research was done beforehand. If you're thinking of applying here - RUN, they won't be around in 2 years and it's not worth your energy.

When Tom was hired as the new CEO, there was a feeling of hopefulness. Many employees felt that it was time for a change. He has yet to prove himself. I watched many employees who had been loyal and hard-working be laid off to make room for Tom's buddies to come in. I ended up being one of those people - it was heartbreaking and took me a year to find a new job. My advice to upper management is to really think about the decisions they make. They may THINK they have all of the answers because of where they come from - they don't - they're not even close. LISTEN to the employees, 45% of them approve of Tom - that is TERRIBLE! Get a clue or get a new job.

Great people, but I'm concerned about the future.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Many of the company's "doers" care genuinely about the products/services they provide, and the company's customers. The benefits are good for the company's size. The flexibility to work from home or shift hours is nice, and shows focus on work-life balance.

Cons

The company's culture seems to be shifting to one that cares less about what the company is meant to provide, has less accountability, and makes employees afraid to speak up.

Don't forget how important collaboration across levels is. Be careful not to alienate our dedicated and knowledgeable workforce. Improvement requires change, but being open & collaborative with employees is more likely to keep them on board with changes than keeping them in the dark is.

Come to the floors where the doers do, and maybe get your hands dirty with us occasionally. It's hard to stand behind a management team you never see, that works on a floor much nicer than any of the rest of us do, and that we hear from mostly when being blindsided by changes. The best managers ask, listen, and offer perspective.

There are newer employer reviews for Symetra.

Worked for Symetra? Contribute to the Community!