There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

A good company no longer

I worked at Symetra full-time

Pros

The people - knowledgeable, caring, customer focused individuals. They are the best the company has to offer. In my years there, I have felt that there was true team spirit, always wanting to do the best for the products and services.

Cons

The new philosophy, management including HR which is not behind the employees have dragged this company down. The layoffs of knowledgeable employees, most of whom were with the company for many years, has not been encouraging, and has brought morale way down. It's been pretty obvious that the long-term employees have been targeted by management.

Advice to Management

I think the management is beyond advice.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Yikes!

Current Employee - I T Professional
    Current Employee - I T Professional

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work-Life Balance reasonable in terms of number of hours worked (<45) Employees are generally very nice people Nice building and location

Cons

Lack of employee recognition - every team is in it for themselves = unhealthy competition No motivation - managers even seem unhappy and know that something is NOT working here Lack of consistent processes & documentation Technology is outdated Code it and shove it in mentality (short timeframe). Mentality is if you haven't cut code then you haven't done anytyhing of value. YIKES! Lack of training opportunities I know at least a dozen people here actively looking for another job - uh, this is NOT the place to be

Advice to Management

LIVE your values and don't just verbalize them Recognize your employeees once in a while

Time to go...........

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of good people with lots of knowledge.

Cons

Management. The entire leadership group is completelyt incompetent. Tom Marra has done nothing but make this company worse. The sales team management spend millions on new products that absolutely no know wants to sell. Because of this good people are layed off from their jobs but the sales team leadership continue to spend and waste money. Communication is non existant at Symetra and please dont ask questions or you will be talked to. Most of the executive team lives on the east coast and spends millions of dollars on flights and hotels. They have no vested interest in the success of the company. If you work there, then leave. If you dont stay away.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves.