Striving for mediocrity

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits
Nice location
People generally treated with respect
Good balance of gendor
OK to be gay

Cons

Lack of strategic vision
Absent CEO
overworked front-line managers
Lack of opportunities for CSRs to advance

Advice to Management

Get in touch with what's actually going on in key areas. Stop settling for sound bytes from middle managers, and dive a lttle deeper. Stop dabbling in distribution strategies and set a direction. Company values don't begin and end on a screen-saver. Stop talking about values and start showing us values we can rally around.

Symetra Response

Mar 11, 2013HR Director & AVP

Thanks very much for your post — and for highlighting both the things you like about Symetra and the opportunities we have to improve. We do strive for a diverse workforce and a work environment that ... More

reviews filtered by

Budget is tight "lights on only"

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

It is stressful working at Symetra because there is so much to do with budget constraints. If you don't get the job done, then management gets upset with you. Symetra used to advertise work/life balance....not anymore. Good and tenured employees are leaving the company. Opportunity for career growth is limited.

Symetra Response

Mar 5, 2013HR Director & AVP

Thank you for your feedback. It is much appreciated. To continue the conversation and discuss your concerns, I invite you to call me at 425-256-8100, press zero, and ask for Jennifer Sharp.

It's not the place to be.

I have been working at Symetra full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good location.
    The building looks great from the outside.
    My coworkers are nice, hard-working people.
    There's an annual bonus based on performance.

Cons

People are leaving and there positions aren't being filled again due to budget contraints. That leaves the rest of us to not only do our own jobs, but to pick up the slack of the lucky ones who left. If you get promoted to a new position, you'll be expected to continue helping out in your old position for an indefinite amount of time. They don't even give you the courtesy of asking if you'd like to help out.

The pay is absolutely terrible. The cost of living continues to increase, yet we do not get cost of living increases in our wages. Many of my coworkers are having trouble paying rent, utilities, etc.

Two weeks of vacation time is given when you start your career here. Good luck getting any time off though. My department, like most has a rule that if one person has the day off then no one else can take that same day. Meanwhile, you will hear upper management bragging about their 3rd trip to Hawaii or how they are going to jet off to California for a long weekend. Oh, and working the day after Christmas was just awesome. Thanks for that.

Career development doesn't exist. Oh yes, they make us fill out a development plan every year just to appease HR, however we are all too busy to devote any time to actually accomplishing anything on that plan.

The place is run down. Again, I'm sure to budget contraints. But seriously, can I please have a chair where the wheels aren't falling off?

Real communication doesn't exist. I want to know what's happening in those conference rooms with the closed doors. All the whispering drives me crazy.

Technology needs an upgrade. Also, one computer monitor! Really? It's archaeic, enough said.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like you would want to be treated. You can tell us that you appreciate all of our hard work as much as you want, but your actions show us the opposite is true. Make it a goal to get on Fortune Magazine's 100 top places to work for. Happy employees generate more sales, better customer service and more productivity. Concentrate less on making Symetra "the place to be" because so far, that approach isn't working. I wake up every day and literally feel sick that I have to go to work.