There are newer employer reviews for Symetra

Sad State of Affairs

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can't think of any at this time. It used to be the people, but so many of the good ones have left!

Cons

It's sad when senior management has to ask people to write positive reviews for the company. That only shows how desperate the company is and that lack of integrity the company has. Senior management is responsible to help with morale and so they should listen to the folks who have left the company, if they even took the time to speak and listen to them. Some folks have left for the normal reasons (retirement, etc.); others have made up reasons (i.e. retiring when they are really not or supposedly a better offer). The most worrisome, some folks have been asked to leave that were some of the brightest the company had because the company either wants to continue to stay out of touch or just didn't want to deal with what is staring at them.

Also, you really can't trust HR -- they are loyal to the company, period.

Live up to your stated values -- value the folks that are truly invested in the company and not willing to play politics just to keep their job -- it's a tougher stance, but in the long run, one that will serve the company well. Don't pretend to care about the employee when you really don't.

reviews filtered by

Company lacking an identity.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Symetra full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements and nice people

Cons

Pay, Senior Management, Lack of long term potential

Figure out what the long term strategy should be and focus on the things you do well.

Very happy to be here

Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Symetra full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked for several local companies and my overall experience at Symetra has been the best. While the company is not perfect, it has many things going for it including great people, excellent work/life balance, better than average benefits, a nice central location and a real passion for supporting the community through programs such as the Symetra Week of Service and Heroes in the Classroom. I am also fortunate to be working for an excellent boss and senior leadership team that I am confident in; and with a dedicated and talented team of coworkers.

Symetra, which sort of characterizes itself as being a scrappy underdog, is making a strong effort to increase its market presence and recently launched a national advertising campaign, which is very exciting. It is also making good traction in its desire to compete toe-to-toe with the market giants in our industry, such as Prudential and MetLife. Having previously worked for good companies that were either shrinking or "treading water", I also can't over emphasize how great it is to be working at one that is on the rise. While I realize not every employee would agree with me, I for one am very happy to be here.

Cons

Symetra is not a tech company nor does it pretend to be one, so if you want cutting edge technology, above market pay, lavish employee benefits/perks and 60 hour workweeks, this would not be your employer of choice. It would also not be a good fit for people who are uncomfortable with change.

While I agree with Symetra's guiding principles of VTS (Value, Transparency and Sustainability) and feel that we are doing a good job of demonstrating this concept on the customer side, we should also be consistently applying these principles internally. As a broad management team and starting with our executives, I think we can do a much better job of being transparent with our employees. I think intentions are good and have started to see things shift in a positive direction. Lets make sure to continue to build on this.

There are newer employer reviews for Symetra