There are newer employer reviews for Synapse Product Development

Talented people that deliver outstanding work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Diversity of projects
Talented and committed employees

Cons

Workload is sporadic and causes lots of churn in resources

Teach everyone how thw company adds value to it's customers rather than adding engineering capacity

20 Other Employee Reviews for Synapse Product Development (View Most Recent)

Great place to work

I have been working at Synapse Product Development

Pros

The main thing I like is that we work in a culture of strong mutual respect. Curiosity is the key quality people exhibit and it let's people focus on solving problems rather than politics. Failure is tolerated as long as you own the problem. Asking for help early is always encouraged

Cons

Currently, the company is facing short term business challenges requiring a change in process

Fill the pipeline and don't burden us with process

Synapse Product Development Response

May 6, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

We appreciate the feedback. Yes Synapse was founded on strong employee-centric principles. Tough times recently have challenged all of us but we are working hard to get on track again and be even ... More

Not What they Portrayed themselves to be

I have been working at Synapse Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pros – Above average benefits
    Free Lunch on Wed.
    Free Snacks
    Interesting projects

Cons

Cons – Where do I start. There are so many cons about this company. They draw people in with their free beer, free Wed. lunch, games and the "freedom" to express yourself. They do have all of this with the exception of the freedom to express yourself. You are only free to express yourself as long as it fits into their philosophy and Synapse culture. Some of the behavior is extremely cult-like. They push their company CULTure relentlessly. If you do not exhibit appropriate Synapse attitude and culture you are at risk of losing your job or being pulled from projects.

Fratboy behavior permeates the culture. This begins with your first week of work when you are stood in front of the entire company and hazed and humiliated. People spend more time trying to be funny and come up with practical jokes or drink beer than actually do some work.

Employees and co-workers consistently put up road blocks which make it difficult for management to manage, and for projects to get done in a timely manner.
    Lack of process has contributed greatly to financial loss and internal frustration on teams.
    People lacking any real world or management experience have been placed in management roles which set teams, and the company up for failure.

Managers (and I call them that because there are no people with leadership skills here) lack the skill to forecast or to understand basic business practices. There is no strategy for next projects and how to fully utilize staff. People were laid off and 1 month later that role is open again and they are hiring the next poor sucker.

This company has a history of mismanagement of projects and funds which have lead them to multiple layoffs over the years, not only in 2013-2014 . In the past year there have been 2 significant layoffs resulting in the layoff of about half of the company. One of their favorite sayings is "People before Profit". Ha! When the hard times hit, the founders did nothing to try and save jobs like cut expenses or improve process. Their first reaction was to lay people off. Not only am I not optimistic about this company but I have lost all respect for this company. The founders are doomed to repeat their mistakes.

Getting out as fast as I can.

Advice to Senior Management/Founders – Stop allowing inexperienced staff and employees to run the company and influence your business decisions.

Synapse Product Development Response

May 6, 2014Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for your honest feedback. I really mean it! It is important to hear these frustrations in order for Synapse to address and turn the corner to being a great place again. Multiple layoffs ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Synapse Product Development

Worked for Synapse Product Development? Contribute to the Community!