Synechron

www.synechron.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Synechron

I got right job at right place

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Synechron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work opportunities with experienced team members

Cons

A Little bit politics at senior mgmt level

299 Other Employee Reviews for Synechron (View Most Recent)

Good place to work

Current Employee - Specialist in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Specialist in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at Synechron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good Salary
    Get good scope to Grow

Cons

Open source technologies are gaining focus now.

Synechron - Worst IT company in INDIA or US to work for (from 8+ years techie)

Former Employee - Lead Technology in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Lead Technology in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at Synechron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

DISCLAIMER: I am sure the HR punters drooling this website will write a lot of positive reviews and comments, but please know this is from my hard struggle to understand and grow with this company for 4 years, I have spent around 4 hours to write this, hoping some fellow techie may be able to save self from ruining life, or at least know what he is getting into :) - all the best in either case !!

IN ONE LINE: The middle layer of managers and senior managers are rusty, talking machines, Zero knowledge on Management/Technology/Business. CEO and upper layer lives its on bubble, no idea of ground reality. Ethical people who are genuine and technically apt, get systematically eliminated and stopped from climbing up the ladder. It is just a nexus of oldy managers and senior managers, they uplift folks that are not more technical than them and good pallies. All they care is billing, no ethics, no growth, no career focus.

I worked in Synechron for nearly 4 years, when I joined I already had a 4+ years of work experience, I am writing this review, just so that people can take informed decision, after all it is going to affect your future growth, career and personal life, I made a mistake and it took me a good amount of time to understand that all the accounts and projects are full of politics here :) no one cares for your technical capability or work - my final conclusion was to quit.

4 years is almost 1/6 of your growing career life period, and I feel I wasted it in this company, and no career growth, it sucks to be in such a situation, you'll know soon. I could list the name of the managers here but the list is so huge that there are 99.5% projects badly managed and bad senior managers running the show, so no point bringing that out. Worked on 9 different project in 4 accounts, same experience, so this proves, the whole system is flawed.

Here's some insight into the pandora that you are going to land yourself into:

Pros:
    1) At the time of joining they can pay you like anything, although they are trying to get out of this habit now - the party is over for new joinees....

2) This is the only chance you have with this company to negotiate, if you are the newer joinee and later do not fit into the (political) system, you will never see growth or considerable hike thereafter.

3) Top most tier management folks "some" of them WERE really good, but what's the point they are not able to pass on their aura to the middle tier or grass root level. And they blindly trust the middle tier Senior Managers and Managers, so much that they would never realize the issues or gaps at the grass root level - level which actually does the work gets nothing here.

4) Page 3 parties and news coverages - all I heard is they pay media and have contact, otherwise how on earth a small-medium size would show up on page 3 :)

5) Dataquest awards - when you join you will be handed over a silly magazine mentioning top 10 - oh no now they are now in top 15, whats the point when the survey done by those companies are answered by their closely knit network oldy managers.

6) This company believes in money can buy everything even fake fame and quick resources.

7) If you are joining this company as an HR and NOT a techie, this can be a great experience for you, as you will get to harass and fire and then re-hire so many resources in a year time, that you will not be able to do that much work in 6 years in a big sized company.

8) Huge growth rate - yeah :) around 150 leave or get fired, and around 300 join every month, mostly fresher these days - that's dirty maths and politics behind its growth.

Cons

1) Worst onshore salaries and treatment like bonded labors. 0% consideration of your skills or domain, if you are looking for a domain specific work, run away, look else where, they do not have any focus or inclination to develop on this, origins of this company lie in Fusion Technologies the older name for this company which was a consulting firm aka body shopper, now it just wears a cloak of an offshore company, branding may have changed, but functioning did not. All they want is cow, that should start giving them milk moment it is in their farm house :)

2) Higher your CTC amount shorter the bench time-out you can have (get into a project or get fired). No matter what domain technology you have if you are not getting placed in X number of days, they will start harassing you and would do cloak and dagger tricks with you, make you re-write your resume for each client and tune it to their requirements. That's where your career would take a dive. They even fake client interviews, synechron folks from onsite, will call you as clients to harass you, give in to shift your technology, since you are not getting placed.

3) I have seen a C++ Developement Lead get a Java Lead position, you can only understand what you would expect from seniors in this case. There are SQL Lead developers working as Java Lead Developers.

4) No matter how hard or how smartly you work, the one who licks, finally wins, your work has nothing to speak about, unless you are irreplaceable. All huge hikes are given to the buttlickers - 97% of the cases.

5) If you are coming from a big or process oriented/ policy based company, Synechron is a (paid) media hyped company, that lacks foundation, no ethics, no employee friendly policy, no benefits, not even a good canteen for food, I can go on and on ... If you are coming from a small company it is little bigger (in size only) than small, so may appeal to you.

I am a level headed, ego-less techie (developer at heart), I got hired as a Lead, had to leave at the same designation. Basically here you do a sort of contractual jobs, or mini projects, projects keep on changing for you every 3 to 6 months as they finish, and you get onto a new totally different one - it is good for folks who want to be jack of all (technologies/domains) trades and expert of none (technologies/trade). If you do not belong to this category, run for your life.

They have a very nice way of keeping you away from getting any sort of growth, basically even if you have worked hard and put your best in the project, but you are not like them, moment the major developements gets over you would be the first one to be put on bench. This trick is also used by Managers during appraisals time - they will deliberately release you from the project and put you on the bench, during appraisal period, so they get to show an excuse that you are non-billable, and hence your appraisal would get screwed.

Body shopping ethics run strong in this company, there are no rules on their onsite pay, I have had first hand experience of being paid ridiculously low for my year tenure at onshore, their salaries offered are so low, that you would barely be able to sustain yourself, you might end up ruining your personal life as there is too much workload at onshore, you work 12 to 14 hours and also on the weekends. You will not be able to save anymore than you will in INDIA. At onshore the worst part with them is totally un-supportive offshore setup, everywhere onshore person has to suffer or adjust to offshore managers terms, you end up working 12-14 hours/day - ruining your personal life and you get paid 1/2 the salary of a regular developer (yes you will be paid much less than a simple developer of that client company, and you may be working as an expert or a lead). Basically here be prepared to work 12-14 hours a day and get paid for 4 hours a day as junior developer much less than your actual position / capability - simple :)

As far as I understood this companies business model, they get good rates on putting you on staffing project on the clients side, pay their employee half or less than that, rest all in their pockets, and seems this money saved is used to help them sustain lavish bonuses and company cars for upper tiers, and new monthly (chicken) hiring.

Company Vision (less):

1) As rightly said by many here it is a company that solely runs on oldy "Manager" and "Senior Managers" - perception about you. Your manager's (network) views follow you, like a vodafone (have you seen the dog ad?) network and never leaves you. I worked in 4 different account on 7 different projects and everywhere managers sucks, it can not be a coincidence, it is the reality in this company.

2) Almost all Managers that you would get to work under are just talking machines. Zero knowledge on Management, Technology or Business. And they have a good reputations with folks up the food chain, so this system is main blood stream and ethics of this company.

3) Official language is English but it is seldom used, all technical discussion, meetings take place in community's language, I can understand using it for your personal discussions, but I found it really bad that, they don't have any checks on this, and managers are quite encouraging of this.

4) There are almost no chances that this company can grow, it is growing in size, but you need to look around and see how many stay more than a year - the size is growing, as there are more low experience folks joining in, and there are very less good "developement" experience folks remaining or staying with them, making it a mediocre pool of resource, won't give you much chance to learn from others and grow. But if you like that kind of setup, this is the best place for you. They have a huge attrition rate and they keep buying new resources like chickens, it's like a poultry farm, new chickens come and go each day.

5) They are trying to come up with concepts of CoE, Quality tracking and various other quality metrics - they do not try and understand or improve on their processes, but just try to tweak the metrics to please the higher ups. More than spending time on these things, if company would have tried retaining talent, and listen to the needs of developers, reducing politics and communal bias and regional nexus, it may have given some results. But, this is a wrong place to expect that, banged my heads on the walls for 4 years and left.

Suggestion to Synechron Top Tier (CEO/COO/MD/few decent Directors), before their boat capsizes:

1) Try to know what goes on at the grass root level.

2) Build your own reconnaissance at all layers, to get the real situation, if you already know and want to ignore, that's a different story, you know who you are, and you know where you are heading.

3) Try not to blindly believe your middle tier, specially Account Managers/Senior Managers/Managers are 95% incompetent, and growing their like molds because of their network.

4) Try to come up with some survey based anonymous feedback to get an idea, or best ask the folks who are leaving you after a long duration, they would know your company's weakness then anyone else. (99.9% Indians while leaving company will never complain because they know HR may try to send out bad feedback, if the new company rings up) - try to find some anonymous way to get that - EXIT interview is waste of your and other persons time.

5) Building an anticipatory bench of unrealistic magnitude - "might" make your company look bigger in size, but it is not going to make it grow that fast, try to tame on your attrition - money is not the only thing that can contain this, companies ethics and the way hard working employees are treated (if there was no politics) makes a lot of difference.

6) I was very happy to hear in the very first induction session, mentioning the slogan "No room for Politics". But after spending 4 years, I guess it meant "No more room left for growth of politics" - you have whole of the buildings and its managers filled up with that, you just need to try and look deeper.

7) The most painful part with this company is that they do not have a 360 deg review for Senior Managers or above Middle tier, so that top most tier may have known about inefficiencies, they just don't want to improve on those. More over, during appraisals as well your voice is just suppressed by the next layer senior manager or account manager, no matter what details and proof you share on your excellence, for them the dear ones are ones like them talking machines, not the ones who are technically strong. Senior Managers see you as a threat to themselves, if they think you are technically strong, they will systematically eliminate you from the project at sometime.

It is company's top tier that defines their principal and values that bloom or doom the company, sooner or later, the energy that you emit, gets back on you multiple folds, it is universal law everyone has to abide to. Synechron is no different it, will face those universal laws - remember SATYAM ?

There are newer employer reviews for Synechron